Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Primary fermentation with Brett not taking off  (Read 1435 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Primary fermentation with Brett not taking off
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:08:37 pm »
I made 4 gal of wort at 1.043 and mixed in 2.5 gal of a previously fermented wort (the other wort has its own thread but I was hoping for the fresh fermentation to clean up some things in the previously fermented wort - I'm going to skip the details but it has its own whole topic and pitched 1 qt of Brett Lambicus starter Sunday evening and another quart of Brett Lambicus starter Tuesday evening.  It is now Wednesday evening and I don't see any signs of fermentation.  The primary is being maintained at  67 F.  I could pitch some dry yeast that I have on hand but I am interested in alternatives.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Primary fermentation with Brett not taking off
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 05:30:22 am »
Mine took ab about 4 days. Just let it ride, it will take off.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 08:05:39 am »
I'm letting it ride.  I'm also trying to get the wort up to 70 F. 

Offline Kid Moxie

• 1st Kit
  • Kid's Got Moxie
    • Five Blades Brewing
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 05:51:43 pm »
Brett works pretty slow. Even if you pitch at, say, lager rates (1.5 M cells / ml / ºP) Brett will still take significantly longer than you'd expect. Just sit back and enjoy the ride :)

Kudos, BTW, on making a Brett starter. I keep hearing about folks that pitch just a vial (~2 B cells from White Labs) and wonder why their ferment isn't taking off  :P

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 07:17:43 pm »
I came home this evening and the fermentation lock was still not going.  However, there was pellicle so I'm good to go now.  The two other times I did an all-Brett beer, the ferment had visibly started in about 2 days, but I realize now that I did a relatively smaller pitch this time.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 12:05:35 pm »
Yeah, a smaller pitch rate and no aeration will slow down brett growth considerably increasing your lag time.  Whenever I brew up a 100% (or in your case, mostly 100%) brett beer I always step up my starters a couple times to make sure I am pitching a fairly large population since they grow so slowly.  When I do that I typically get normal lag times just like with an ale yeast.