Author Topic: Bottles/Growlers from Kegs  (Read 1674 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
Bottles/Growlers from Kegs
« on: May 15, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »
I've read some older threads here about various methods of bottling for competitions off of kegs. If I'm simply sharing beer and want to bottle or use a growler, can't I just use my beer tap to fill these?

How long would the person receiving these beers have to reasonably drink them?

Offline gman23

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Bottles/Growlers from Kegs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:17:52 PM »
I fill a growler directly from my faucet without much issue. I usually purge the keg then set the pressure to under 5 psi. I haven't had much luck bottling from the keg though tons of people do it successfully.
On Tap/Bottled: Hopfenbier, Kurbis Marzen, Red Rye, Vienna Lager,      

Fermenting: Imperial Porter
Up Next: Maibock, Braunbier

Online brewday

• Brewer
  • Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 09:59:37 PM »
For growlers I use a one foot length of the silicone high temp tubing at ~ 3 psi and fill from the bottom.  Cut a small notch on one end so it fits over the faucet.  Works well.
Jon Weaver

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:21:03 PM »
For growlers I use a one foot length of the silicone high temp tubing at ~ 3 psi and fill from the bottom.  Cut a small notch on one end so it fits over the faucet.  Works well.

+1. That's what I do for growlers. Beer gun for bottling.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:00:34 PM »
Once the growler is opened I would suggest within 24hrs to minimize carbonation loss and oxidation issues but one could probably get away with 48 hrs after cracking the seal. 

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • View Profile
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 08:20:18 PM »
For growlers, I generally fill right out of the tap, since they're going to be consumed quickly.  Unless I'm doing it at the same time that I'm bottling, then I sometimes fill a couple of growlers out of the beer gun after purging with CO2.  As long as they're closed tightly, I've had some keep for over a month that way.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 10:16:42 PM »
For growlers, I use one of those hoses that you can buy that fit right in the faucet with a couple of o-rings to seal it. No problem with growlers as they're going to be consumed right away, usually the same night as I fill them.

With bottles I lower the pressure on the keg, hook up a picnic tap with a length of plastic racking cane stuck in it and fill from the bottom of the bottles. I have sent beers to competitions and they have been fine for a couple of weeks.

I know that a beer gun would probably be the best way to go, but I'm too frugal. But, then again, what I've been doing has been working okay for what I need. One example is the 2015 beer swap (on general forum discussion) I filled the beers I sent with my Mickey Mouse method, and with the traveling and re-chilling and all, the carbonation was fine.

Try it and see if it works for you.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »
With bottles I lower the pressure on the keg, hook up a picnic tap with a length of plastic racking cane stuck in it and fill from the bottom of the bottles. I have sent beers to competitions and they have been fine for a couple of weeks.

I did that for years Frank (before getting a beer gun) and my bottles held carb for a month or two easily. It was a lot like with a beer gun, though - I had better results getting the bottles really cold, beer really cold, and filling really slowly.
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 12:32:31 AM »

I did that for years Frank (before getting a beer gun) and my bottles held carb for a month or two easily. It was a lot like with a beer gun, though - I had better results getting the bottles really cold, beer really cold, and filling really slowly.

Yeah, I also chill the bottles. Someday when I need to buy myself a present, I'll probably splurge on a beer gun.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
What's the point of lowering the pressure for a bottle compared to not doing so with a growler fill? I'm looking to simply fill a few bottles to share and be consumed rather quickly.

Online brewday

• Brewer
  • Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »
What's the point of lowering the pressure for a bottle compared to not doing so with a growler fill? I'm looking to simply fill a few bottles to share and be consumed rather quickly.

I do ~3 psi for both.
Jon Weaver

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 05:47:16 PM »

I do ~3 psi for both.
Is that so you won't get as vigorous of a pour compared to 12 or so PSI? Taprooms don't adjust for this.

Online brewday

• Brewer
  • Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 06:02:25 PM »

I do ~3 psi for both.
Is that so you won't get as vigorous of a pour compared to 12 or so PSI? Taprooms don't adjust for this.

Too foamy at 12 for me.  Growler fills pretty fast at 3 anyway.
Jon Weaver

Offline narcout

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 06:15:30 PM »
If I'm simply sharing beer and want to bottle or use a growler, can't I just use my beer tap to fill these?

Yes.  Sanitize the bottles, caps and the tap; turn off gas to the keg; vent most but not all of the pressure from the keg; purge bottle with CO2; fill and cap on foam.

If you do it properly, they should be fine for quite a while.

It's too close to home
And it's too near the bone

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »

If I'm simply sharing beer and want to bottle or use a growler, can't I just use my beer tap to fill these?

Yes.  Sanitize the bottles, caps and the tap; turn off gas to the keg; vent most but not all of the pressure from the keg; purge bottle with CO2; fill and cap on foam.

If you do it properly, they should be fine for quite a while.
How important is purging w CO2 if this is being consumed quickly?