Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottles/Growlers from Kegs  (Read 3841 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Bottles/Growlers from Kegs
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 12:40:17 pm »
How important is purging w CO2 if this is being consumed quickly?

Not very

Most of time when I bottle something it is for a competition, so I purge the bottles.  If I was bringing beer to a party or something, I probably wouldn't bother.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 12:41:37 pm »
How important is purging w CO2 if this is being consumed quickly?

Not very

Most of time when I bottle something it is for a competition, so I purge the bottles.  If I was bringing beer to a party or something, I probably wouldn't bother.

+1

Offline maurer1933

• 1st Kit
  • With you from the keg to the cup.
    • Maurer Sales
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 04:33:27 pm »
For growlers, I use one of those hoses that you can buy that fit right in the faucet with a couple of o-rings to seal it. No problem with growlers as they're going to be consumed right away, usually the same night as I fill them.

We recommend this avenue to our customers. There are 2 main styles of those fittings available, if you have Perlick faucets you'll need a special one that usually costs more (As Perlick often does...) If you just have the standard faucet, you can find one at a homebrew store or online. Search: Growler Filler

SIDE NOTE : Be careful pouring beer directly from a keg using an adapter or short beer line run, the head pressure in the keg is often times enough to get it to dispense, you don't want your beer flying out of there and having massive CO2 breakout.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:39:03 pm by maurer1933 »
Maurer Sales LLC
220 S Mead St.
Seattle, WA

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 09:18:46 am »
Bumping this to double check something. Going to bottle some beers for a competition and don't have a beer gun yet.

Should I fill as high as possible and cap on foam?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 09:38:36 am »
Yes.  I try to target a typical commercial fill level and usually that's about what you get when you cap on foam.  If you're not too worried about losing some beer, let the foam overflow a bit to get the fill level you're looking fo.

I've had good luck bottling for comps by using a racking cane jammed into a picnic tap.

I purge the bottles first, then fill and cap on foam.  I've got a splitter in my CO2 line and I have one end hooked to the keg and one end hooked to an airgun.  I put a racking cane on the air gun and purge the bottles from the bottom before filling.  Sort of a poor man's beer gun.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 10:47:16 am »
I'm curious how much of an impact dosing my bottles with CO2 will have on a homebrew competition held a couple weeks after I'm dropping off the bottles.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 06:33:51 pm »
I'm curious how much of an impact dosing my bottles with CO2 will have on a homebrew competition held a couple weeks after I'm dropping off the bottles.
It may or may not be noticeable.  After you bottle for the comp, bottle 2 more for yourself.  Purge one and not the other.  Open and drink on competition day.  You'll have a better idea of what the judges are consuming too. 

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk