Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black IPA?  (Read 23217 times)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
Re: Black IPA?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 09:07:47 am »
thanks guys..ashtray, lol, so true though.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2010, 11:29:45 am »
A few things about black ipa as a style (in support of why they are awesome):

1. The roast isn't nonexistent, it is subtle but present. It is like the sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa on your cappuccino - it is a pleasant extra (if not strictly necessary) note.

2. They are easy to brew. By this I mean no worries about clarity. The wait time on an ipa can be painful because you want it clear, but you don't want to lose any hop character.

3. There is a lot of variety/unexplored territory in this style. Here in the bay area, few have even heard of the style. In Portland it is more common, but many brewers made theirs borderline imperial stouts and others made theirs dry as he'll and low in body (my preference). They range from the low end of abc/gravity for an ipa up into the iipa range. Some, like mine and the one at hop works, use just dehusked carafa or sinamar to darken it. Still others. Use chocolate malt and roasted barley to kick up the roast. True sometimes it steps on the feet of ris, but this flexibility is inherent inany "out of style" style, at it makes them fun to brew.

4. It is fun to be part of the bandwagon sometimes, and black ipa is the bandwagon style right now alongside sour beers. A few years ago everyone was enjoying wit biers with gusto, and a few years before that, people were first getting worked up over e word imperial. Sure it can be gimmicky, but it is sometimes fun to be in on the gimmick.

My $.02  
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:31:18 am by skyler »

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 11:40:50 am »

I wonder how many Black IPA's are going to be entered into the Longshot competition this year under category 23?

I actually think that is why longshot is category 23 this year - so a Sam Adams black ipa can hit the shelves and sell like widmer's W'10.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 11:45:59 am »
You and me both, buddy....

Because for human beings, the organoleptic experience begins with the eyes.

Sure, no argument there...I guess I just haven't found a black IPA yet that makes me go "wow, I want to drink that" when I look at it.

Have you found an regular IPA that makes you go wow i want to drink that?   
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 05:29:59 am »
SA Longshot?  How about a black pale ale or a black wheat beer?   ;D  

I'm with others that it doesn't seem right as a "style" on its own, its too dark for a pale anything and not enough substance for a stout.    Whats next toasted almond beer a style?  Brew whatever a person wants but does it require being made a style just because it was brewed?

But a specialty beer... yeh, I can see black IPA's being that.  

Sours are "in"... wow, I made mine on a whim more or less... guess I'm in style for a change.   :D ::)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:39:34 am by dean »

Offline Jo Diesel

• Cellarman
  • BEER! Its what makes me HAPPY
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 04:15:04 pm »
Isn't a black beer a stout or porter? I know hoppy is not right for this style but this would fit better than an  IPA. I just did a Black Porterr and I think it could have used a little more hop flavor/

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 04:31:58 pm »
I'm with others that it doesn't seem right as a "style" on its own, its too dark for a pale anything and not enough substance for a stout.    Whats next toasted almond beer a style?  Brew whatever a person wants but does it require being made a style just because it was brewed?

But a specialty beer... yeh, I can see black IPA's being that.  
Most of the time when we talk styles we are talking competitive styles, or BJCP styles.  BJCP styles are not there to define the style, but to provide the judges with something to judge against.  That being said, if "Black IPA's" show up in contests (Cat 23/Specialty) on a regular basis and stick around, and someone writes up a style description, it is possible to become a BJCP recognized style.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline 6thstreet

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 02:01:32 pm »
If this does become a BJCP style (which I think it should) it should in no way be classified as a "Black IPA" but rather as an "India Dark Ale" (IDA) or even a "Cascadian Dark Ale."  Just my two cents.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2010, 09:11:20 pm »
I jumped on the bandwagon, and brewed one of the recipes from the current BYO.  The W10 is a decent beer, and I had a black IPA from Iron Horse in Washington and it was great.  Nice, oaky front end, with that great IPA bitterness.  

Does it deserve it's on style?  Who knows.

But, more and more breweries are marketing a Black IPA, or Cascadian Dark Ale.  I think 21A even has one out now.  And their Brew Free or Die is one of the best IPA's to be had.  

For mine, I still have about two weeks before I know how good it is.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:02:53 am by micsager »

Offline pweis909

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2010, 06:20:07 am »
This a relatively uninformed question (but that's why I'm asking!):

How is the acceptance of Black IPA/Cascadian dark ale as a style different from the acceptance of Schwarzbier?

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 06:44:23 am »
This a relatively uninformed question (but that's why I'm asking!):

How is the acceptance of Black IPA/Cascadian dark ale as a style different from the acceptance of Schwarzbier?

Schwarzbier has been brewed since the middle ages
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline pweis909

• Cellarman
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 07:28:48 am »
"Schwarzbier has been brewed since the middle ages"

Ok.  I said I was relatively uninformed, but this much, I knew.  :)

So schwarzbier is grandfathered in, even though the grounds for distinguishing it as a separate style are no longer acceptable and applicable to modern beers?  Or is Black IPA only worthy of being its own style when it has been around for several centuries?  I'm just curious on the thought behind how this type of thing gets decided.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 08:28:07 am »
"Schwarzbier has been brewed since the middle ages"

Ok.  I said I was relatively uninformed, but this much, I knew.  :)

So schwarzbier is grandfathered in, even though the grounds for distinguishing it as a separate style are no longer acceptable and applicable to modern beers?  Or is Black IPA only worthy of being its own style when it has been around for several centuries?  I'm just curious on the thought behind how this type of thing gets decided.

I'm unsure how the BJCP will decide if this should be a style on it's own.  To me the biggest indicator would be how many Cat 23 beers come in as this style.  If it begins to overwhelm Cat 23, then maybe it should get it's own style.  BYO had "style guidelines."

I'm gonna keg my version of W10 from the BYO recipe this weekend.  I added some oak chips to the fermenter.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 11:30:11 am »
I jumped on the bandwagon, and brewed one of the recipes from the current BYO.  The W10 is a decent beer, and I had a black IPA from Iron Horse in Washington and it was great.  Nice, oaky front end, with that great IPA bitterness.  

Does it deserve it's on style?  Who knows.

But, more and more breweries are marketing a Black IPA, or Cascadian Dark Ale.  I think 21A even has one out now.  And their Brew Free or Die is one of the best IPA's to be had.  

For mine, I still have about two weeks before I know how good it is.

Well, I kegged up my W10 last night, and it's carbonating now.  Should be done tonight or tomorrow.  It sure tasted good int he hydrometer test tube.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 06:58:19 pm »
I have to admit I was skeptical at first concerning a Black IPA, but I had one that was good and I could definitely taste the Chocolate malt in it.  The hops weren't that big, so I guess you could consider it a hoppy brown ale because it was more of a brown color than black. :-\
Dan Chisholm