Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Black IPA?  (Read 23220 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Black IPA?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2010, 11:13:14 am »
I have to admit I was skeptical at first concerning a Black IPA, but I had one that was good and I could definitely taste the Chocolate malt in it.  The hops weren't that big, so I guess you could consider it a hoppy brown ale because it was more of a brown color than black. :-\

If you're gonna use the W10 clone recipe, trust me, the Carafa II will definately make it black.  I brewed that recipe right away.  I did add oak chips to the fermenters, and it turned out great.  Many of my friends and co-workers said ti was the best beer I have brewed.  Not real hoppy though, and that's no good for an IPA.

I've brewed a second batch, and will keg that up tonight.  I added 2ounces of Simcoe at 90 minutes to help with the bitterness.  (10 gallon, all grain)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 01:14:21 pm »
recipe please
Dan Chisholm

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2010, 04:00:29 pm »
recipe please

Extract or all grain?

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2010, 07:30:20 am »
Currently having an IPA and Schwarzbier on tap I'm finding the combination of 2/3 IPA & 1/3 Schwarzbier is the shcitz!!! The Carafa II in the Schwarzbier is what's giving it a very nice, smooth roasted flavor.  If/when I brew a Black IPA, that's the route I'm taking; a combination of the two recipies.

This is my FAVORITE part of having a kegerator (aside from not bottling).

I loooove blending beers on tap to figure out new recipes. My favorite so far is 3/4 Kolsch with 1/4 Trad. Bock. If Spaten brewed an Amber, I think it would taste something like this...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2010, 08:13:00 am »
Currently having an IPA and Schwarzbier on tap I'm finding the combination of 2/3 IPA & 1/3 Schwarzbier is the shcitz!!! The Carafa II in the Schwarzbier is what's giving it a very nice, smooth roasted flavor.  If/when I brew a Black IPA, that's the route I'm taking; a combination of the two recipies.

This is my FAVORITE part of having a kegerator (aside from not bottling).

I loooove blending beers on tap to figure out new recipes. My favorite so far is 3/4 Kolsch with 1/4 Trad. Bock. If Spaten brewed an Amber, I think it would taste something like this...

Cool, that sounds good.  I've been doing the same thing.  I have a dark amber and a dry IPA on tap, mixing the two is a nice blend. 
Jesse

Offline jtodd

• 1st Kit
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2010, 03:39:35 pm »
I'm in the process of planning a black ipa, but I'm a little stumped on what the water profile should be. I'm using 0.5 lbs. of debittered black malt for the roast / color in a 5.5 gallon batch. The spreadsheet I use is telling me my brew water should have a RA of at least 125 with a HCO3 level of 295 ppm, but I'm worried that increasing the HCO3 level that high will have a negative effect on such a hoppy beer. Should I worry about getting my RA high enough for such a dark beer (28.6 SRM)? Can 0.5 lbs. of debittered black malt have that big of an effect on the mash pH?

Here is the water profile I'm thinking of using. It's the profile I use for Amber Ales.

Ca 70.1
Mg 15.4
Na 12.7
Cl 40.5
SO4 96.0
HCO3 128.1
Hardness 238.2
Alkalinity 105.0
RA 45.9

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2010, 09:15:14 pm »
I'm in the process of planning a black ipa, but I'm a little stumped on what the water profile should be. I'm using 0.5 lbs. of debittered black malt for the roast / color in a 5.5 gallon batch. The spreadsheet I use is telling me my brew water should have a RA of at least 125 with a HCO3 level of 295 ppm, but I'm worried that increasing the HCO3 level that high will have a negative effect on such a hoppy beer. Should I worry about getting my RA high enough for such a dark beer (28.6 SRM)? Can 0.5 lbs. of debittered black malt have that big of an effect on the mash pH?

Here is the water profile I'm thinking of using. It's the profile I use for Amber Ales.

Ca 70.1
Mg 15.4
Na 12.7
Cl 40.5
SO4 96.0
HCO3 128.1
Hardness 238.2
Alkalinity 105.0
RA 45.9

Dude, I have no clue.  I have good well water that I run through a fairly cheesy filter.  Never tested the water, never adjusted the water.  But, I've never won Best of Show, either.  But, most folks love my beer. 

I hope someone else can help you.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2010, 12:10:45 pm »
So where would I put a Black Barleywine?, I'll color it with a pound of Roast or so 

Umm, Imperial Stout?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2010, 12:43:50 pm »
All grain recipe :)
Dan Chisholm

Offline greymane

• 1st Kit
Re: Black IPA? Nah, India Black Ale
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 09:07:08 am »
After reading all the discussion of the CDA article in this months Zymurgy, I broke down and brewed a 10 gal. batch. Here is what I brewed on Saturday:

Mashed
17# Belgian Pale Malt
3# German Dark Munich
1.25# Carafa III
1# Carafoam
1# Turbinado Sugar added to boil
56 qt. boiled for 90 min to 44 qt.
Preboil gravity = 1.050
S.G. = 1.063
SRM Expected = 27
Ferment at 59°F with Nottingham
Hop Schedule
4 oz WL Chinook at 60 minutes
Hopburst with 2 oz WL Amarillo and 2 oz WL Simcoe 0.5 oz mix every 10 minutes starting at 30 minutes, with the last 1 oz at flameout. Then whirlpooled for 30 minutes
Dryhop in the keg with 0.5 oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo per keg.
IBU =108 (Tinseth)

I ended up with just at 9.5 gallons of wort in my fermentation buckets, due to 8 oz of whole hops sucking up so much.
a.k.a. Mike Brooks
"In science, there is only physics; all the rest is stamp collecting." - Ernest Rutherford
Keg-1: Terminal Red Rye IPA
Keg-2: Terminal Roggenbier
Keg-3: Terminal Red Rye IPA
Primary1: Terminal Red Rye IPA
Primary2: Terminal Hop Wit It (over hopped wit-bier)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2010, 11:50:51 am »
All grain recipe :)

Here's my recipe.  Modified from the W10 in BYO:

18 # 2 row
4 # munich 10L
3 # crystal 10L
1.5 # Carafa II
1.25 # special roast

1 oz simco 75 minutes
2 oz amarillo 60 minutes
.5 oz cascade 2 minutes
1.5 simcoe 2 minutes

dryhop:

2 oz cascade, .5 oz simcoe, 4 oz french oak chips

Mash at 152 60 minutes

Pitch 4 packs of Wyeast 1056 or equal starter.

10 gallons

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2010, 06:14:16 pm »
Thanks micsager!  ;DI think i'll give it a try.  I'm going to cut everything in half because I make 5 gallon batches.
Dan Chisholm

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2010, 08:17:33 pm »
Hey Mic,

How long do you leave it on the dry hops and oak?  I'm sure I have that issue of BYO around here somewhere, but I haven't gotten to it yet - I'm always months behind.  Is that in the original recipe?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2010, 10:04:41 am »
Hey Mic,

How long do you leave it on the dry hops and oak?  I'm sure I have that issue of BYO around here somewhere, but I haven't gotten to it yet - I'm always months behind.  Is that in the original recipe?

The hops are part of the original.  (but I think I used standard replacements) The oak chips are of my own design.  I put them in the buckets as I transfer the wort, and leave them through the entire fermentation.  I only do primary.  For this beer, 12 days.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2010, 12:14:35 pm »
Hey Mic,

The hops are part of the original.  (but I think I used standard replacements) The oak chips are of my own design.  I put them in the buckets as I transfer the wort, and leave them through the entire fermentation.  I only do primary.  For this beer, 12 days.
So you're adding the dry hops at the same time, in primary?  I think you'll lose a lot of the aromatics that way from CO2 scrubbing.  Or do you add the hops later?
Tom Schmidlin