Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: first measured mash pH  (Read 871 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
first measured mash pH
« on: May 29, 2015, 11:45:16 am »
After studying up on Brunwater I finally brewed my first IPA with RO water and added salt additions to the mash and sparge water to hit an estimated 5.3 room temp mash pH. 

After properly calibrating my milwaukee ph meter and cooling to room temps (about 69F), I measured the mash pH at 5.35 after about 15 minutes in the mash.  There was a bit of grain (very small amount) suspended in the sample I took.  I assumed this was a win?  Am I correct in thinking that or should I be working to adjust that reading even more if it happens next time with an acid addition?

Online ynotbrusum

Re: first measured mash pH
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 11:55:48 am »
I think it was close enough - but some here dial it in within a closer margin.  I doubt you will have any problems.  I use Brunwater and rarely even check pH anymore, because it seems so reliable for the styles I brew.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:58:35 am »
For me, that's plenty close enough.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 12:40:20 pm »
The difference between 5.3 and 5.35 is negligible particularly given the accuracy of pH meters.  What you have proven to yourself is that your RO water acts like real RO water.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:56:47 pm »
For me, that's plenty close enough.

Yep, same here.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 02:31:17 pm »
Cool.  Thanks for the replies.  I figured that a .05 margin of error could be due to a variety of things (i.e. measured water amounts, pH meter calibration, temperature calibration used, my CaCl2 absorbing some extra water, etc).