Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Chemistry - Pt. 2: Messing With Minerals | xBmt Results!  (Read 2264 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
In this 2nd xBmt focused on water chemistry, Malcolm compared 2 Dry Stouts made from the same recipe with different levels of minerals in the mash. Would a panel of tasters be capable of distinguishing between them? Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/05/18/water-chemistry-pt-2-messing-with-minerals-exbeeriment-results/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Water Chemistry - Pt. 2: Messing With Minerals | xBmt Results!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 07:26:32 am »
John Palmer did a presentation some years back. He had examples of a pale ale brewed with a pale ale profile and a stout profile. He had a stout brewed with a stout profile and a pale ale profile. You could tell the difference easily. Too lazy to look it up, 2007 to 2009 time frame.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 07:35:21 am »
John Palmer did a presentation some years back. He had examples of a pale ale brewed with a pale ale profile and a stout profile. He had a stout brewed with a stout profile and a pale ale profile. You could tell the difference easily. Too lazy to look it up, 2007 to 2009 time frame.

I believe you're referring to the presentation linked below, Malcolm mentioned it in the article:

http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2007/JPPresentation.pdf

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 07:36:28 am »
I didn't read the article. Said I was too lazy this morning, so I proved it.

Edit - you also have my subjective impression that the beers were different. The correct water for the beef had the preferred taste.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:38:07 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:03:44 am »

Edit - you also have my subjective impression that the beers were different. The correct water for the beef had the preferred taste.

Haha! Well, the cliff notes version:

A statistically significant portion of tasters were able to distinguish between the different beers :)

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 09:51:12 am »
Fun experiment! I'm surprised the differences were so noticeable, on the other hand, it's the assumption I brew with so I'm glad to see some testing results confirming it's usefulness. I guess I'll keep on truckin' :D

PS: I really do like the 3D pie chart ;) (clear as day)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 09:57:41 am »
I'm not surprised that the differences were noticeable. I am surprised that the 'hoppy' profile was as well received as it was. I've always found too much sulfate to give a dark beer a harsh, near acrid character. I read that you fined the kegs and that the delta diminished afterward. Regardless, nice work again !
Jon H.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 10:03:40 am »
Fun experiment! I'm surprised the differences were so noticeable, on the other hand, it's the assumption I brew with so I'm glad to see some testing results confirming it's usefulness. I guess I'll keep on truckin' :D

PS: I really do like the 3D pie chart ;) (clear as day)

Haha, I'll have to consider using pie charts more often, I suppose.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 10:43:26 am »
Very neat. I'm really enjoying this latest set of xBmts. Just the right amount of technical but practical enough to put into practice straight away.

Friendly edit: about 3/4 of the way down, he writes "BJPC" when I'm sure he meant BJCP.  ;)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 10:51:29 am »
Very neat. I'm really enjoying this latest set of xBmts. Just the right amount of technical but practical enough to put into practice straight away.

Friendly edit: about 3/4 of the way down, he writes "BJPC" when I'm sure he meant BJCP.  ;)

Thanks, Amanda! Error has been fixed :)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 04:25:50 pm »
I'm not surprised that the differences were noticeable. I am surprised that the 'hoppy' profile was as well received as it was. I've always found too much sulfate to give a dark beer a harsh, near acrid character. I read that you fined the kegs and that the delta diminished afterward. Regardless, nice work again !
So what is this "delta" you speak of?

Nice job once again, Marshall.
Jesse

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 04:33:24 pm »

He said in the experiment that, once he fined the kegs with gelatin and gave them cold conditioning, the difference (delta) between the two beers seemed not as drastic.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 06:48:00 pm »

Haha! Well, the cliff notes version:

A statistically significant portion of tasters were able to distinguish between the different beers :)

So did I in the Palmer presentation.

The APA with the correct water chemistry tasted, well, like an APA. With the Stout water chemistry it tasted chalky, muddy if you will. The stout with the right chemistry tasted rather neutral, finished nice without off flavors. The one with the pale ale profile was sharp to the taste ant not stout like.

I hope that gives more to my "cliff notes" version. It was 2007, and it sent me off a path to look into water chemistry before many others.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 06:49:38 pm »

Malcolm is a military guy, he uses funny words.

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 07:10:10 pm »
I have found this to be true since going to whole house RO with a TDS meter and Brunwater software.  I like to make the water fit the beer style these days.  Maybe it's all in my head, but then it's in the heads of a whole lot of others, too!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"