Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When are you supposed to aerate the wort?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline syncopadence

• Assistant Brewer
When are you supposed to aerate the wort?
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:26:59 pm »
I've heard two different things: the first being right before pitching the yeast (complete joy of homebrewing) and the second source says right after pitching (this website). So which is it? I'm inclined to believe right before pitching because you don't want to mess with the yeast once it starts doing its thing. Anyway any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: When are you supposed to aerate the wort?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:36:57 pm »
I aerate before pitching, but I doubt if it makes any difference.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 07:03:08 pm »
I aerate before pitching - don't know how likely it is that it stresses the yeast to aerate after, but it's extra insurance not to risk it on a regular basis.  Though, a few times I've spaced and forgotten to aerate first and never suffered anything catastrophic aerating after pitching.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 08:07:04 pm »
Chill, then oxygenate, then pitch for me

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 05:40:51 am »
I oxygenate just before pitching then give a pretty thorough stir after pitching so the slurry doesn't just sink to the bottom. I'm not sure the post pitch stir helps but I doubt it hurts.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 06:52:52 am »
I oxygenate just before pitching then give a pretty thorough stir after pitching so the slurry doesn't just sink to the bottom. I'm not sure the post pitch stir helps but I doubt it hurts.

+1 I do the same thing, exactly.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 08:00:32 am »
I do whenever it is convenient.  If my dry yeast is hydrated before I've aerated, I'll pitch first.  For "big" beers, I'll aerate again the next day.  I also aerate when racking to the fermenter, add yeast and then aerate gain by swirling the fermenter

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 08:15:52 am »
I used to aerate after pitching, but after participating in a similar thread now aerate towards the tail end of chilling, pre-pitch. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 08:39:12 am »
I aerate whenever I remember to do it. I usually shoot for pre-pitch, but it's usually the one thing I forget at the end of a long day. It's usually right as I'm pouring in my pitch when I get that sudden "dammit" moment when I realize I didn't aerate. At that point I'll just aerate after pitching.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 09:12:51 am »
The good thing about oxygenating just before pitching every time is that it has become such a habit that I never forget because I have done it so many times that pitching yeast = aerating first.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 09:14:02 am »
I've heard two different things: the first being right before pitching the yeast (complete joy of homebrewing) and the second source says right after pitching (this website). So which is it? I'm inclined to believe right before pitching because you don't want to mess with the yeast once it starts doing its thing. Anyway any help is appreciated. Thanks.

It makes absolutely no difference between those 2 choices.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 10:32:39 am »

I don't know how much difference it makes, but pure oxygen may not be good for yeast.  You want to aerate the wort as opposed to aerating the yeast. 
I use O2 and pitch afterwards, but I've also aerated a second time several hours later for very strong beers.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 12:32:52 pm »
I have always aerated after pitching to allow the yeast to absorb as much O2 in solution as possible.  Never had any issue with this method. 

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 01:26:12 pm »
My friend taught me to aerate after pitching and also to rock/shake the fermentor every few days. I brew 2.5gal batches so it's easier for me to do that.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 01:26:31 pm »

I don't know how much difference it makes, but pure oxygen may not be good for yeast.  You want to aerate the wort as opposed to aerating the yeast. 
I use O2 and pitch afterwards, but I've also aerated a second time several hours later for very strong beers.

Yeah, this is what I have always heard as well. Let the pure o2 dissolve into solution before pitching yeast. I actually killed a yeast starter with pure o2 once.