Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When are you supposed to aerate the wort?  (Read 2861 times)

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
Re: When are you supposed to aerate the wort?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 01:27:55 pm »
I chill before adding O2, since the liquid will be able to hold more gas at a cooler temp

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 02:17:10 pm »
My friend taught me to aerate after pitching and also to rock/shake the fermentor every few days. I brew 2.5gal batches so it's easier for me to do that.

Really?  Like how violently do you shake the fermenter?  I'd let that habit go, personally, even if it's not a violent shake.

The only time I'll mess with the fermenter is toward the end of fermentation on a big beer.  And then, it's a gentle swirl once or twice and warming it up.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 05:13:14 am »
My friend taught me to aerate after pitching and also to rock/shake the fermentor every few days. I brew 2.5gal batches so it's easier for me to do that.

Really?  Like how violently do you shake the fermenter?  I'd let that habit go, personally, even if it's not a violent shake.

The only time I'll mess with the fermenter is toward the end of fermentation on a big beer.  And then, it's a gentle swirl once or twice and warming it up.

Yeah, no need to shake a fermentor after fermentation has started. Only reason hyou would ever need to do that is to rouse the yeast and only a few strains pose this problem (WLP002 for instance).

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 09:12:21 am »

Just a few moderate sloshes to get everything moving. A lot of times I'll still ferment in a Mr. Beer keg and it's easy to leak out the top - so there is a degree of delicacy.

But if it's not needed I may have to re-think doing that. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 07:05:10 pm »

Just a few moderate sloshes to get everything moving. A lot of times I'll still ferment in a Mr. Beer keg and it's easy to leak out the top - so there is a degree of delicacy.

But if it's not needed I may have to re-think doing that.

How do you think comemercial breweries ferment? They do not shake their fermentors and their beer attenuates just fine. ;)

Your probably not hurting anything it is just not necessary for most yeasts. Now, that said, some strains flocculate early and may need roused, but even so I would recommend using something long enough to scrape the bottom to break up the yeast cake.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 07:16:19 pm »
Aye, aye, oh, shake your fermentations....