Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Would you rather pay more for Ball Lock Cornies or convert your system to fit Pin Locks which are a cheaper keg.

Pay More for Ball Lock
8 (72.7%)
Convert to Pin Lock
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 26, 2010, 05:19:51 pm

Author Topic: Ball Lock or Pin Lock  (Read 2275 times)

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
Ball Lock or Pin Lock
« on: May 24, 2010, 05:19:51 pm »
Due to the increasing scarcity of Used Ball Lock Cornies, I have been thinking about which way to go with the Ice Harbor Homebrew Shop.  Please give your input as to whether or not you would prefer to pay more (is $35 will be going up to $40) or converting to Pin Lock ($30 + the cost of switching all your fittings)
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Ball Lock or Pin Lock
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:26:42 pm »
Already 7 kegs in with all the fittings, so changing over may not make cents either. But if I were just starting out, I'd definitely go pin lock for that kind of savings.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:38:51 pm »
I started out with 18 pinlocks, then I was given 10 ball lock kegs(2 more today).  Using flare fittings I can easily change my hose connectors to use either type keg in my system.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 08:18:30 am »
Spend the extra money on flare fittings, and have a few of each type (ball or pin lock) and get whatever kegs you can for a reasonable price.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:24:20 pm »
Another +1 on going with flare fittings.  I have lines with the 1/4" flare fittings for homebrew kegs and lines with standard (3/8"?) wing nuts for my commercial keg couplers.  That way I don't need to keep track of so many lines and can switch up as needed when tapping things.

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 05:21:09 pm »
That's something I'll have to keep in mind.  I use flares myself, but I don't know what my customers use.  That's the major problem.  I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible for them.
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com