Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Challenging brew days  (Read 3499 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Challenging brew days
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 11:38:44 am »
Bummer! I'm very close to picking up an MM3 as well, my 3 year old BC has seen better days.
You can buy Mark's, no?

I've got a hookup on one, actually.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:40:54 am by brulosopher »

S. cerevisiae

Re: Challenging brew days
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 12:22:49 pm »
My guess is that a lot brewers purchase an MM3 because they want the crush, but later decide that it is too much mill.  In my case, my standard final kettle volume is around 3.5 gallons. Hand cranking 5 to 7 pounds of grain through a roller mill is not a big chore.  I used to be able to hand crank 11+ pounds through my original Model P without breaking a sweat in my thirties.  Twenty-something years later I am good for 5 to 7 pounds before I start to sweat profusely.  If I have the time, I still enjoy hand cranking a mill.  It has always been my evening before a brew day ritual.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 02:46:46 pm »
My guess is that a lot brewers purchase an MM3 because they want the crush, but later decide that it is too much mill. 

Not here! :P I think it's just about perfect for 20+ lbs of grain. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the last few lbs of Avangard I have. Making the switch back to Best - should have known.  ;)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 03:16:52 pm »
I've gotten a rock in a sack of Best pilsner malt along with other brands.  I'm sure every brand has a rock every once in a while. 

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 03:25:44 pm »
Twenty-plus pounds is right about where a 3-roller mill starts to justify the added complexity that is needed to operate it.  Only Hercules could hand crank an MM3.  The MM3 is really an induction motor with pulleys or gearmotor (induction or DC) mill.  A beefy 1/2" universal motor-driven handheld drill will drive the mill, but the MM3 is not much fun to operate using a handheld drill. 

Is the motor that you are using to drive your MM3 electrically reversible?  If so, you may want to look into adding reversing capability.  The MM3 is such a monster to drive that most motors should stall when a foreign object is encountered.  Being able to electrically reverse the motor will make removing foreign debris much easier when using direct drive.