Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Manhattan Quad - Please offer advice  (Read 3136 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Belgian Manhattan Quad - Please offer advice
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 10:11:36 am »
I'd lose the wheat and bump the Munich up to a lb.

You're so down on wheat in quads.  But I think I agree with you.  I'm not sure what the wheat brings to the table in this beer.

Yeah, that's kinda it.  I feel like every ingredient needs to justify it's existence in a recipe and I just can't see what wheat brings to the party.  But that's me....if someone can justify that addition, then cool.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 10:12:54 am »
haha yeah I like wheat in my quads. I dig the sweet, doughy flavor but I'm not against removing it.  It would be cheaper to lose it and bump the Munich.

OK, you've just justified it for me!  But I don't know if the wheat will actually give you that flavor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 08:55:57 am »
I like the flavor of wheat but it will get lost among everything else in that recipe. I've seen more than a few quad recipes with wheat but it seems the rationale is to balance a huge amount of dark sugars so the beer isn't too thin rather than for flavor. However if that's the case here I would cut the dextrose.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline nolinenowait

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 09:01:15 am »
I haven't brewed this recipe yet, but wanted to come back to it. Personally this beer means a lot to me as it's in memory of my grandfather whose drink of choice was a Manhattan.   I've been brewing quite a bit recently and decided this did need some changes.  I'm not positive if I still want to use bitters for bottling. 

Malt:
11.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
.85 lb Carafa I
1 lb Munich Malt - 10L

Boil:
.1 oz Nugget (90 min)   
.25 oz  Nugget (75 min)
.5 oz Styrian Goldings  (75 min)
1.5 oz Styrian Goldings  (5 min)

1 lb D-180
1lb D-90

Sugars added with 15 minutes left of boil

Flameout:
.5 oz Orange Zest
3 grams cardamom
1 oz crushed coriander

Yeast:
Wyeast Labs #3787

I will still add rye whiskey to soaked oak cubes in primary for 10 days.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 09:59:49 am »
Be really careful with the cardamom. I'm not sure how much 3 grams are but I used one crushed up pod and it was pretty noticeable.

Offline nolinenowait

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 10:08:05 am »
It would be about half a pod. 

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 08:18:27 am »
I recently brewed a west coast red ale to capture a manhattan flavor. Rather than the usual cascade/centennial combination it has cascade, triple perle and nugget for flavor/aroma additions. It's definitely that orange and herbal manhattan flavor. I also have a manhattan that I've been aging on oak for a couple months like a barrel aged manhattan. I plan to add the oak (and probably some of the cocktail) to part of the batch to create a faux barrel aged version.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 12:31:01 pm »
Maybe try making a tincture with your spices so you can pre-test the amounts that contribute the best aroma and flavors you are looking for.  Just a thought so you don't overdo it on the first try.