Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Force Carbonation Question  (Read 2943 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Force Carbonation Question
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 03:07:33 pm »
So I'm going w. the set and forget for a first timer...added 25-30 PSI, bled off a few times to purge. Set to 12.5 or so PSI @ 40 degrees.

When I draw some samples off of this next week, should I bleed off any pressure? Not sure if this is a best practice or not.

Secondly, I didn't leave the serving tap attached for now, is that standard as well while carbonating?
Your serving pressure technically depends on line length and tap height.  I don't need to change my pressure to serve. 

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 03:11:10 pm »
Just tested a pint, not too bad! About three fingers of foam, could have been my pour. I'm going to back it down to 10 PSI and wait another few days to sample again. FWIW, it was under 25 PSI for about 24 hours or so.

Is it a bad sign that there are still bubbles in the beer (in a sample jar) after an hour? Over carbed already?

Here's a quick GIF of the bubbles, just 'cause.

http://gfycat.com/MeagerDampChimneyswift
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:23:55 pm by flbrewer »

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 03:13:53 pm »

Just tested a pint, not too bad! About three fingers of foam, could have been my pour. I'm going to back it down to 10 PSI and wait another few days to sample again. FWIW, it was under 25 PSI for about 24 hours or so.
Sounds good. Boost carbing is risky. Outside of serving a beer and taking a guess you don't have any way to measure.  You just have to get used to your system.