Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Several questions regarding fermentation from a new guy.  (Read 904 times)

Offline BigUnclePhil

• 1st Kit
Several questions regarding fermentation from a new guy.
« on: May 21, 2015, 02:33:56 pm »
Hello all,

Last weekend I brewed my first batch of beer ever using the all-grain recipe for Two Hearted Ale found here http://i.imgur.com/bfITU9X.jpg

I had a few questions now that I'm in the fermentation stage.  First, the recipe says to add dry hop addition at one week into fermentation--does this mean 5 days or 7 days? I know it sounds like a silly question, but I understand that having the beer in contact with the hops for too long of a time can affect the flavor of the beer.
-
Secondly, the weather here in Cincy has gotten cooler the last two days.  The yeast strain I used says 68-73F, and for the first few days of vigorous fermentation, I was able to keep the temp right around 69-71 easily.  Right now, the sticky thermometer on the side of the carboy reads 61-62F, and a glass thermometer next to the carboy reads about 64.  The only thing I can think to do is to turn my heat back on, which I'd really like to avoid.  Is this low temperature going to have a negative effect on the beer? I know too warm can cause unwanted byproducts and too fast of a ferm, but I wasn't sure about temps too low.  It is still fermenting--there's a decent amount of activity and consistent bubbling in the blowoff.

Finally, what does the recipe mean when it says crash cool and cold-age? Does this mean in a refrigerator?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Several questions regarding fermentation from a new guy.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 02:47:59 pm »
I would attempt to warm the beer a bit at this point.  It could be done with a warm water bath, if you have a laundry tub and can get some water that is mid 70ish.  Cold slows ale yeast and can cause a stall in the fermentation process leaving you with an underattenuated beer.  Assuming a healthy pitch, you are probably beyond the point of any off flavors from temperature, so swirling a bit should help, as well to coax the yeast to finish up properly.

Any cooling source will work for the crash cool, but do so only after full attenuation is reached.  Yes, crash cooling is usually done with refrigeration, but an ice bath will work, as well.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 02:57:15 pm »
Personally I'd wait till you have reached final gravity then dry hop for about 7 days. That could be five days in... or 25 days in. Go by gravity rather that calendar. If you dry hop during active fermentation you are blowing off a lot of aroma with the escaping CO2.

Cold crash to me means getting the beer down to 30° and holding it there for a few days to a week.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 04:14:15 pm »
+1 to Jim's advice, wait until you've reached final gravity which may or may not be exactly what the recipe states. If you get a reading that's close, wait another few days for a second reading, if unchanged, its done. Then dry hop, I like 5-7 days, YMMV. Once dry hop Is complete, crash cold as Jim described to settle hops and yeast and clear the beer and then package it. Congrats on your first beer!

Now get started on the next one, the first won't last long;)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010