Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Keg Lid Leak  (Read 2498 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Keg Lid Leak
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 11:41:24 am »
I only apply keg lube when I have a hard time getting a lid to seal.  Which doesn't happen very often.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 12:13:57 pm »
I just read you should seat the keg and then close the bail. Is that correct?

I have always closed the bail first, then seated the lid.  I close transfer directly from primary into the keg with gas, so there is no other option.  I have never had any issues with this process. 

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 03:33:39 pm »
I use keg lube on every keg when filled, but a teeny tiny amount run around the lid o-ring between thumb and finger - just so the rubber glistens.  If the lid won't seal at ~15psi, then I add a little more, if necessary initially sealing the keg with high pressure.  Of course certain kegs among my collection are more problematic.

I use it a little more heavily to seal dip tube o-rings.

I normally keep the kegs at 20-30 psi for the first three days, after which reducing pressure normally doesn't cause the same leak I got at low pressure/low lube.

When washing the keg, after soaking in hot PBW or PLC upside down in a bucket, I try to remember to run a wet, soapy sponge or paper towel under the rim of the keg opening to wipe away any residue which is negligible.

I personally don't feel that keg lube when used very sparingly is much of an issue when cleaning kegs.  But when I run out (or maybe before then) I plan to buy CIP Film keg lube since it washes off more easily with hot water than LubriFilm keg lube.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:41:45 pm by brewsumore »