Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: One mash, two ESBs  (Read 1428 times)

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
One mash, two ESBs
« on: May 21, 2015, 08:21:48 am »
I recently had a very nice ESB at a local brewery and it inspired me to take a crack at brewing my first. I have a bit of a strange brewing system where I make one mash and then split it into two separate 3 gallon boils/batches of wort. Typically I’ll just play with different hops or maybe a different yeast between the two. Here’s what I was thinking for the ESB:

90% Maris Otter
5% C-60
5% Torrified Wheat
OG = 1.055-ish
WLP002 (or WLP022 maybe?)

For the first batch I was thinking about going all EKG for the hops at around 40 BUs. Not sure what to do, hop-wise, for the second. Any suggestions about maybe a more American-bent hop schedule for this other 3 gallon batch? As for my preferences, I tend to like a more straightforward/clean bitterness in my hop-forward beers rather than sickly-sweet hop flavor/aroma bombs.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: One mash, two ESBs
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:57:08 am »
I'd say about half the time I brew an ESB I doctor it up with American hops a bit. I usually include some EKG's, but then pair it with something else to give it some interest. I think EKG + Caliente + Centennial is the combo I like the best. I think I bittered it to 45 IBU's with Challenger at 60 minutes, then added an ounce each of EKG, Cent and Caliente at flameout.

The Trooper has become one of my go-to commercial ESB's, and they use Golding, Bobec and Cascade. You get some black tea and marmalade that is common in UK hops, but also a hint of that floral/citrus Cascade thing.

Your recipe will make a really nice ESB, by the way. WLP002 is my favorite ESB strain, but there are many good ones out there. WLP013 makes a nice ESB. I've also been meaning to give WY1469 a try, since I'm a huge Landlord fan.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 12:20:15 pm »
I've also been meaning to give WY1469 a try, since I'm a huge Landlord fan.

Love WY1469 for my ESB's. 

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 05:07:21 pm »
The Trooper has become one of my go-to commercial ESB's, and they use Golding, Bobec and Cascade. You get some black tea and marmalade that is common in UK hops, but also a hint of that floral/citrus Cascade thing.

+1

Bought it because Iron Maiden, bought it again because it's a great beer. Haven't been able to find it recently though. I really liked the way they used cascade in it.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 08:05:34 pm »

+1

Bought it because Iron Maiden, bought it again because it's a great beer. Haven't been able to find it recently though. I really liked the way they used cascade in it.
Same here. It was OK when I tried it initially, but now that I can get it reasonably fresh in cans that my packy keeps cold I find myself reaching for it quite a bit more often.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 07:31:34 am »
Personally really like that they started canning it.  It also dropped the price by half.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 07:45:17 am »
I'll have to talk to the store, see if they can get it again. I'm excited that it's sold in cans now, it was really pricey in bottles.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 08:29:11 am »
Yeah, it's functionally twice the price in bottles.  Locally, bottles (0.5L) run ~$6.50 each.  The cans (16oz) are $12 for a 4 pack.