Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Delay in pitching yeast  (Read 6302 times)

Offline son_of_buncrana

• Cellarman
Delay in pitching yeast
« on: May 20, 2015, 04:12:54 pm »
I am doing a last minute brew and my local HBS didn't have the yeast I need. Is it ok if I brew in the morning, go find the yeast at another store and pitch it later in the day? Like a few hours after cooling the wort? What's the longest I can wait to add the yeast? Does the holding temp of the wort matter? I could probably find a way to keep it cool if need be. Thanks!

Offline BrewingReveries

• 1st Kit
Re: Delay in pitching yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 04:55:08 pm »
The longer you wait to pitch the yeast the more chance there is for critters to get a footing and funkify the beer.  You will likely be ok if it's only a couple of hours, but you really want fermentation to get going as soon as possible after the wort is cooled from the boil to avoid infection.  I don't know exactly how long is *too long*, you'll probably be ok if it's within the same day.  Keep it held at fermentation temp, I can't see a reason colder would really help.

Always potential for an interesting beer if it's a style that can handle funk.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 05:51:21 pm »
Make sure your sanitation is top-notch, keep it cool, and you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure you have an adequate pitch of yeast, too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 05:53:34 pm »
Make sure your sanitation is top-notch, keep it cool, and you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure you have an adequate pitch of yeast, too.
^This^  A few hours with a healthy pitch is not a big deal as long as your cleaning/sanitation is good.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 07:54:35 am »
A few time I've let a batch cool overnight in the carboy then pitch in the morning as late as 12 hrs later and I haven't had any off flavors from this.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:22:16 am »
I usually brew at night and pitch in the morning when the temp of the wort is stable. Pay heed to what others have said about sanitation and a healthy pitch and also remember to aerate again when you pitch later.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 09:20:53 am »
I usually brew at night and pitch in the morning when the temp of the wort is stable. Pay heed to what others have said about sanitation and a healthy pitch and also remember to aerate again when you pitch later.
A few time I've let a batch cool overnight in the carboy then pitch in the morning as late as 12 hrs later and I haven't had any off flavors from this.

+3 I used to do this all the time before I had a wort chiller.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 04:43:28 am »
Yep, no big deal to go as long as 12 hours. It's better to wait 12 hours and pitch at the proper temp (below 70 for most ales) than to rush pitch into a warm wort anyway. I wouldn't suggest going much longer than 12 hours but I have gone as long as 24 without any problems.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 12:48:35 pm »

Yep, no big deal to go as long as 12 hours. It's better to wait 12 hours and pitch at the proper temp (below 70 for most ales) than to rush pitch into a warm wort anyway. I wouldn't suggest going much longer than 12 hours but I have gone as long as 24 without any problems.

It all depends how clean your process is. Agree 12 hours will not hurt anything.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com