Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Filtration  (Read 1388 times)

Offline apietromonaco

• 1st Kit
Water Filtration
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:04:21 pm »
Hello fellow brewers,

I just recently purchased a Sabco brew magic system and am setting up to begin brewing with it.  I know there are a wide range of variables that go into this and it is an easier question than it is an answer.  But, does anyone (ideally in the Washington State area) have any recommendations for a good water filtration system.  We will be using tap water coming from the sink for brewing but need some guidance for what some good products are.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Re: Water Filtration
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 06:19:09 pm »
Drinking water safe hose and a carbon filter is all you need. I personally have one with replaceable filters but I've seen some who use rv filters that look like the cartridges you put in a refrigerator. I think I paid about $35 for mine at Walmart.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:41:23 pm »
Hey, if you have Brew-Magic questions PM me.  It has a few system quirks.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 08:25:33 pm »
You need to know your water report. Most of the water is pretty good in the PNW, so find the report and let us know how jealous we should be.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 11:18:00 am »
It depends on where you live in Washington State. Here in South Central Washington, my well water tests 198 total hardness and 204 total alkalinity, so I do a lot of water blending with RO water. I bought a cheap RO system this spring that brought my hardness down to 7 and alkalinity down to 6. Looks like it will pay for itself in the long run.

Bruce

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 10:07:00 am »
You need to know your water report. Most of the water is pretty good in the PNW, so find the report and let us know how jealous we should be.

I live in Vancouver, WA and found out that my local water has chlorine in it and all I have to do is let it set out overnight for the chlorine to degas and I'm good to go for most styles.
How much jealous can your blood pressure stand? :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:08:32 am by Steve Ruch »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 06:52:54 pm »

I live in Vancouver, WA and found out that my local water has chlorine in it and all I have to do is let it set out overnight for the chlorine to degas and I'm good to go for most styles.
How much jealous can your blood pressure stand? :)
In Portland the water is wet, mostly single digits for all the brewing ions, so yeah, jealous if you get that across the river in WA.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!