Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Stand with Whirlpool Immersion Chiller and Pump  (Read 1590 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Hop Stand with Whirlpool Immersion Chiller and Pump
« on: May 26, 2015, 08:52:56 am »
For the past three years I have been chilling my wort with a whirlpool immersion chiller (http://www.morebeer.com/products/wort-chiller-immersion-recirculation-arm-50-12.html) and a pump. It chills very fast and it is easy enough to clean and sanitize, but I also bought it because of the purported benefits of a hop whirlpool. After some trial and error, I have been doing a hop stand by replacing my flame-out hops with whirlpool hops that I add after chilling the wort to just under 180F, at which point I add the whirlpool hops and let stand for 10-30 min, then chill again. This has been effective, but frankly I still got better late-hop aroma from my flameout hops when I had a simple immersion chiller that took 2-4 hours (and a small lake's worth of precious Californian water) to chill my wort down to near-pitching temps.

I was wondering what other people who use a pump to whirlpool and hop stand do. Do you chill down partially before adding the hop charge? Do you add flameout hops as well as whirlpool hops? Do you give it a longer hop stand? A shorter hop stand?

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Hop Stand with Whirlpool Immersion Chiller and Pump
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 09:01:40 am »
If an immersion chiller is taking too long to cool and using too much water, use a pump to recircilate the chilling water while adding ice.  I use a standard immersion chiller.  I chill down to 90 or so with water from the tap before adding a couple gallons to a cooler along with all the ice from my freezer.  This finishes the job down to 62 or so in around a half hour total I think (I need to time it).  I'm also recirculating the wort with a separate pump and hose, IMO the whirlpool effect isn't very effective at centering hop matter as it seems to get stirred up, but the wort movement helps greatly with cooling.  When doing a hop stand I just stop everything once the temp hits 180. 

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Hop Stand with Whirlpool Immersion Chiller and Pump
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 09:02:36 am »
By the time I get to chilling, I am SOOOO ready to have my brew day done, that I add hops at 170, and continue chilling till done. If I want a greater hop presence, I simply add more hops to the whirlpool.