Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A totally non-scientific subjective evaluation of Minerals in Finished Beer  (Read 810 times)

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
http://accidentalis.com/archives/1233

I hesitate to post this here, because there are many holes in my process and the sensory eval is completely subjective and personal. AND that I subjected a couple of friends to some oxidized beer because of my poor dosing problems and bottling from a flat keg (accidental - in hindsight the beer gun worked really well because the beer was barely carbed!). Really this should be three brews with different profiles so the ions pass through the mash, boil and fermentation... but that is a lot of beer to brew. So this was an American Brown Ale brewed then dosed to push (A) epsom for magnesium to 33 PPM (flavor threshold), (B) gyspum to push sulfate to 200 ppm and (C) calcium carbonate to about 93 ppm. The result was fairly distinct beers... bottle conditioned (see flat beer above). The original brew used epsom to achieve the Brown Bitter BWS profile, rather than gypsum. The base beer was yummy (see? subjective!).

I plan to revisit this with a BoPils I have lagering right now - and will bottle condition a series of beers. Should be more relevant as the beer is simpler and sulfate is alleged to rough up noble hops. Not sure I can talk Marshall into round 2, but will try to gather more feedback. Not sure they will be ready by NHC, but will try.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 05:37:43 am by mchrispen »
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<