Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Category Question  (Read 3594 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Category Question
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 05:37:42 pm »
Got the scoresheets back, and I'm blown away with the details here! The overall theme was not enough balance (malt) coming through. Probably due to my really low mash and dry finish. Notes below for those interested...

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/SIdKKoR.png)

I know two of those judges and they are both very good.  It's nice to see that the comments are similar on all the score sheets. 
Good job in your first competition!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 06:20:48 pm »
Do you think they all judged my beer together at the same time? Otherwise, I'd even more impressed at the similar comments.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 06:50:46 pm »
Do you think they all judged my beer together at the same time? Otherwise, I'd even more impressed at the similar comments.
There's no doubt they did.  That's how it's done.  In most cases, though, all the judges enter their own comments and at least some scores (if not all) before discussing it and coming to a consensus for score (usually, the goal is to get it within 7 points or less, most local comps I judge in try to stay within 5).

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 08:53:01 pm »
The normal procedure is that the judges will pour their samples at once and fill out their commentary and scores usually silently.  Then, once they have finished, they discuss the beer and how they scored it, to come to a consensus overall score.  They will often adjust their scores up or down to get closer to each other, but most of the time, the adjustments are small if they were needed at all.

If I may be so bold, this seems to have piqued your interest.  I had a similar reaction to my first competition.  I got sick of waiting for feedback so I became a judge so I could judge my beers myself.
I encourage you to take a look at the BJCP web site (http://www.bjcp.org) to find out more about judging and evaluating beer.  Find another competition near you, and volunteer to steward.  You'll see the inner workings and get to taste a lot of interesting beers. if nothing else you'll probably know right away whether you'd like to pursue it further or not.

HTH-
Steve

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 07:16:57 am »
I had a similar reaction to my first competition.  I got sick of waiting for feedback so I became a judge so I could judge my beers myself.
I came into it more from getting tired of hearing other people (in my club) complaining.  lol  I hadn't entered comps for a long time until then.