Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC Final Round Sign Up  (Read 7452 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: NHC Final Round Sign Up
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 06:35:47 am »
I am hoping to go next year. I plan to volunteer to steward. It would be more fun than judging in my opinion. Besides, I dont have any nonjudging points yet and thats kind of embarrassing.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 12:27:41 pm »
Yes, judging is work.  Yes, you pay to go to the conference, so yes, you pay to go work.
But, I find it rewarding, and fun to go judge in the "biggest of the big league competitions" with a bunch of judges from all over the world.  You do learn a lot simply from all the interactions.  You also kind of get a vicarious dog in the hunt, seeing if the beers you advance end up doing well in BOS.

Besides, its only 3 hours or so.  I can spare that.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2015, 01:26:11 pm »
Yes, judging is work.  Yes, you pay to go to the conference, so yes, you pay to go work.
But, I find it rewarding, and fun to go judge in the "biggest of the big league competitions" with a bunch of judges from all over the world.  You do learn a lot simply from all the interactions.  You also kind of get a vicarious dog in the hunt, seeing if the beers you advance end up doing well in BOS.

Besides, its only 3 hours or so.  I can spare that.
Steve, I would pay good money to judge with you anytime

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 02:30:56 pm »
<blush> thanks, Jim.  I'd love to judge with you, too.  Hopefully our schedules will work out sometime soon.
Hey, we can always slip the judge director a couple greenbacks to see if (s)he'll pair us up.  ;-)

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 05:55:12 pm »
<blush> thanks, Jim.  I'd love to judge with you, too.  Hopefully our schedules will work out sometime soon.
Hey, we can always slip the judge director a couple greenbacks to see if (s)he'll pair us up.  ;-)
Deal!

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2015, 06:08:24 am »
Wow so much drama. Quit crying. Volunteer to judge our steward if you think you'll enjoy it and want to help out the competition. If you don't then don't. Simple as that. These long posts crying about ranks are totally unnecessary.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline testingapril

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 08:34:24 am »
Shame it doesn't allow you to check both Steward and Judge. I am Provisional looking out to September for the Tasting exam.

Does checking judge also qualify you for steward? Hate to show and be turned away.

Anyone know the answer to this? I'm glad to steward or judge. As rank pending, I certainly understand why I wouldn't be called on to judge even though I am willing to do so, but stewarding a competition is a pretty good gig from when I've done it in the past, and I can only imagine stewarding the "national championship" would be even better.

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 02:33:39 pm »
Hi all,

If you are willing to steward, then please sign up as a steward.  If you are willing to judge, then please sign up to judge.  If you are told you will not be needed to judge, then you can always offer your services to steward.

Thanks for volunteering!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org