Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zymurgy app frustrations  (Read 6697 times)

Offline uslackr

• 1st Kit
Zymurgy app frustrations
« on: May 21, 2015, 10:27:08 am »
Been using the Zymurgay app on the iPad for a while and its getting more and more frustrating.  Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.  Here's what I see

- Downloaded issues do not hang around long.  I downloaded two issues two weeks ago and when I opened the app this week they were gone.  This wouldn't be the end of the world except...
- One has to wait for the whole catalog to download before you can even open the app to select an issue, and...
- One has to wait for the entire issue to download before you can read the first page. Come on. Even in the heart of the east coast megalopolis I do not always have good service.  A 20 minute download is painful
- Please stop logging me out.  Verify my AHA account is still active in the background and stop asking for credentials every 30 days or so. Believe it or not, I have not committed my AHA password to active memory.

All I want to do is read back issues during lunch...

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Zymurgy app frustrations
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:04:13 am »
It is for this reason that I have stopped downloading issues.  Too many times I've wanted to read an issue I'd previously downloaded just to find that it is no longer there.  I haven't looked at the app in 6 months.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 11:53:37 am »
I don't have this problem in Android.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline nosybear

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 12:58:32 pm »
Most annoying to me is that I do have issues "vaporize" from my Android tablet.  Second most is that if I find a page I need for reference, I can't print it!  Third most is having to "thumb" through the magazine to find anything in it - the e-zine doesn't seem to be searchable!  I understand the need to prevent mass copying and distribution of the magazine and I understand advertisers want to ensure that eyeballs are falling on their ads but come on!  The New Yorker doesn't restrict its magazine this severely and this is a small journal for a very small audience.

Offline uslackr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 01:47:04 pm »
Actually, there is no need to prevent mass copying,... The number of people interested in doing this are minimal and any lost revenue is trivial. The ads are in the copies. More eyeballs for the advertisers.

IMO, magazine content should be creative commons with attribution after 6 months.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 06:38:51 am »
Third most is having to "thumb" through the magazine to find anything in it - the e-zine doesn't seem to be searchable! 

Top right with the magnifying glass. You can search all issues at once or search within a single issue - just like the browser version.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline duncan

• AHA / BA
  • Administrator
  • Brewer
    • HomebrewersAssociation.org
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 03:03:25 pm »
Thank you everyone for taking the time to list the bugs they are experiencing with the apps. I've passed these along to the app team and they are going to work with the app developers to get these issues hammered out.

Cheers,
Duncan
American Homebrewers Association / Brewers Association

Offline jdmeadme

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 01:13:49 pm »
The android app does log you out. That is a pain. Just got a "your session timed out" and booted. Please just check in the background if my account is still active but don't log me off. I'm using a mondo 'can't remember this password on pain of death' and it is a pain to look up elsewhere and type it back in. This is the only app on my phone that does this atm.

Offline msherretz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 05:38:35 pm »
On my iPad and iPhone I download issues and simply get a black error box with document error listed and no way to resolve it.
Does anyone else have this problem?
In addition, I also still get the issues disappearing for no known reason.
When will these problems be resolved and how can I try a download a second time to clear up the black document error box?

Offline natez

• AHA Sr. Web Developer
  • Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 11:04:53 am »
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Zymurgy app. We are always striving to continually improve the app experience.

We do hear of the 'document error' from time to time, usually because an issue didn't complete downloading or was interrupted. You can tap and hold the issue to delete, then try again. If the problem persists, please let us know which issue is causing the problem.

re: disappearing issues, we have not been able to get that bug to repeat but I will add it to our bug list for further investigation. I assume you are able to re-download those missing issues?

-Nate
Sr. Web Developer

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 11:27:23 am »
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Zymurgy app. We are always striving to continually improve the app experience.

We do hear of the 'document error' from time to time, usually because an issue didn't complete downloading or was interrupted. You can tap and hold the issue to delete, then try again. If the problem persists, please let us know which issue is causing the problem.

re: disappearing issues, we have not been able to get that bug to repeat but I will add it to our bug list for further investigation. I assume you are able to re-download those missing issues?

-Nate
Sr. Web Developer

I have also experienced the "disappearing" issues.  They don't actually disappear, they "un-download" themselves.  Meaning, I will attempt to reopen an issue that I was reading, and notice that I need to download it again.  So I assume the data file is purged somehow, or there is a memory leak of some kind.

Offline natez

• AHA Sr. Web Developer
  • Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 11:30:55 am »
Thanks Factory -

Are you also on iPhone/iPad? Can you please send your device specs and version of iOS?

Much appreciated.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 12:57:22 pm »
Thanks Factory -

Are you also on iPhone/iPad? Can you please send your device specs and version of iOS?

Much appreciated.

I have an older iPad 2, 16GB WiFi only and I'm running the latest IOS 9.2.  It is time for a new iPad, because this one has been running more and more slowly with each IOS update.

Offline joemcg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 11:56:26 am »
Hello,

Are there any plans to release the app for the Kindle Store?

Thanks

Offline jdmeadme

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 03:11:28 pm »
The android app does log you out. That is a pain. Just got a "your session timed out" and booted. Please just check in the background if my account is still active but don't log me off. I'm using a mondo 'can't remember this password on pain of death' and it is a pain to look up elsewhere and type it back in. This is the only app on my phone that does this atm.

Has there been any traction or at least recognition that this is a feature flaw and must be fixed? Lots of talk about this on the interwebs, even at my brew club. In this thread people bring it up (and esp on google play) but you don't see anyone at AHA even acknowledging this is an issue. Is there a reason for this? We are paying members using a member only/paid service and I think we deserve a bit more support. If this was a free service, then I could see why it isn't a priority.