Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nottingham dry yeast  (Read 3428 times)

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
Nottingham dry yeast
« on: May 22, 2015, 06:49:32 am »
Only used this yeast in my bottling bucket for high gravity Belgians. Never used this in my primary fermentor.  Any recipe ideas?

Thanks

BV

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Nottingham dry yeast
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 07:13:13 am »
It is very clean, some say even cleaner than US-05, and it ferments cool all the way down to 55 F if you want it really clean.  At 70 F it still makes a good clean beer with few esters (slight peach/apricot).  Treat it just like American ale yeast US-05/WLP001/1056.  In the long distant past, at some point I was told that Nottingham ale yeast might have even been the biological ancestor of all the American ale yeasts US-05/WLP001/1056.  It's almost the same, but maybe even better, maybe.  There's good reason it's still around after so many years -- it's just a versatile yeast, acceptable for probably 80% of all beer styles.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:15:35 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 07:36:49 am »
It's my go to yeast for all my ciders.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 07:42:31 am »
My cider I made this fall with Notty yeast turned out very peachy, to the point where I don't even really care to drink it unfortunately.  In a plain-jane cider, there's nothing for off-flavors to hide behind.  However, I LOVE how my US-05 cider turned out, very very clean.  I will be using US-05 for cider a lot more in future. </tangent>

In most beer, there's plenty of malt and hop character to meld with Notty's esters and provide "complexity".  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:39:59 am »
My cider I made this fall with Notty yeast turned out very peachy, to the point where I don't even really care to drink it unfortunately.  In a plain-jane cider, there's nothing for off-flavors to hide behind.  However, I LOVE how my US-05 cider turned out, very very clean.  I will be using US-05 for cider a lot more in future. </tangent>

What temp were you at?  I had mine in the basement around 65-70F and I don't pick up any of those flavors. 
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 08:50:39 am »

What temp were you at?  I had mine in the basement around 65-70F and I don't pick up any of those flavors.
Did either of you add nutrients? Some yeasts aren't too happy in low-nutrient cider must. I know it makes a huge difference in sulfur production for me, and I wonder if it affects ester formation as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:54:30 am »
I don't use nutrients for my ciders anymore at all.  Theories aside, I've seen no actual advantages to using it based on taste.  I do often get sulfur with pretty much any yeast, but it always disappears within a few weeks so I don't worry about that.  If memory serves, my fermentation temperature was somewhere in the 60s, until I purposely wanted to slow it down to retain sweetness, then it was in the refrigerator for a couple of months in the low 40s for it to clear.  I used the same process with US-05 as I did for Notty and got two completely different ciders.  Yes, I too was very surprised.  In the past I have had great success with US-05.  I believe this was the first cider I ever made with Notty, although I've used it for beer dozens of times and always liked it in beer.  If the esters came out due to lack of nutrients, maybe that answers that.  I haven't used it enough in cider to know for sure.  Might be worth experimentation, especially if you don't think you'd mind peach esters in your cider.  Some might, me, I don't really care for it.  It's not bad, it's just noticeably peachy.  Also some pineapple maybe.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:57:54 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 09:55:32 am »
I don't find Notty clean at all.  To me, it's tart, bready, and estery.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 10:53:59 am »
I don't find Notty clean at all.  To me, it's tart, bready, and estery.

100% my experience.  I get weird tart flavors from it that I don't like at all.

However, if you pitch it with Windsor I think it's fantastic.  Can't explain that, but I've experienced it.

I've only had one beer in the past 5+ years that I pitched with Notty that didn't come out tart and that was a big old ale that aged for about a year, so maybe some of the tartness and esters aged out.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 03:55:27 pm »
It's my go to yeast for all my ciders.

I did one last year with Munton's that turned out pretty good.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 08:55:35 pm »
However, if you pitch it with Windsor I think it's fantastic.  Can't explain that, but I've experienced it.

Those two strains work together so well that I often wonder if they were isolated from the same mixed culture.