Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gelatin not working?  (Read 4616 times)

Offline chandlergr

• Cellarman
Gelatin not working?
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:45:00 pm »
I tried using gelatin to fine for the first time recently, but it does not seem to be working, at all. I used 1/2 tsp first, waited 36 hours and no change. Tried again with 1 tsp and still no change after 24 hours. What's more is there was not even any gooey junk poured when testing. This makes me wonder if the gelatin is just floating on the surface and not dropping thru the beer. Does this happen? Any ideas what I am doing wrong? This was all done on about 3.5 gallons of kegged and carbonated beer. 

Thanks!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Gelatin not working?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:47:16 pm »
What did you do with the gelatin - did you heat it with water first ?  And I assume the keg was cold when you added ?
Jon H.

Offline chandlergr

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 01:05:36 pm »
Both times the gelatin was added to 1/4 - 1/3 cup room temp water and rested for 20 mins and then heated to 170F the first time and 150F the second. Yes the keg was at 35F for both additions.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:09:34 pm by chandlergr »

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:21:03 pm »
i heat it up to about 155F and stir it all in until dissolved. then put it into keg first (did you do this?), rack cold beer on top and then give the keg a good rocking back and forth for a minute.

works great every time.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 01:25:51 pm »
Both times the gelatin was added to 1/4 - 1/3 cup room temp water and rested for 20 mins and then heated to 170F the first time and 150F the second. Yes the keg was at 35F for both additions.

That's pretty much what I do. Did you stir it into the keg? I stir it in, but very gently.
Jon H.

Offline chandlergr

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 01:27:42 pm »
No stirring was done either time, I guess that is the missing factor. I will trying rocking the keg a bit when I get home and see if that does anything!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:29:44 pm by chandlergr »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:35:14 pm »
Gelatin mostly only removes yeast.  If your haze is caused by anything else such as starch or protein or polyphenols, it might not work well at all.  In that case, try Polyclar.  If that doesn't work, you might have a starch problem that nothing might solve but to ensure proper mashing next time around.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 01:42:07 pm »
No stirring was done either time, I guess that is the missing factor. I will trying rocking the keg a bit when I get home and see if that does anything!

are you racking on top of gelatin or did you just pour gelatin in the keg after you fill it?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline chandlergr

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 01:43:24 pm »
Gelatin mostly only removes yeast.  If your haze is caused by anything else such as starch or protein or polyphenols, it might not work well at all.  In that case, try Polyclar.  If that doesn't work, you might have a starch problem that nothing might solve but to ensure proper mashing next time around.

See this is why I suspected, but a beersmith article (which are not always totally accurate in my experience) about fining agents said gelatin was good for proteins and tannins but did not mention yeast. My beer is already yeast free, so I went with gelatin. The beer is a wheat so it of course has a greater level of protein that all barley beers and I used less whirlfloc than I usually do for this brew so I was trying to 'fix' the protein haze with a fining agent. Good to know that gelatin is not super protein effective, but other than inadequate mixing this does not explain why the gelatin has not found its way to the bottom of the keg yet.

Offline chandlergr

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 01:44:30 pm »

are you racking on top of gelatin or did you just pour gelatin in the keg after you fill it?

Poured gelatin mix into keg after filling and carbing.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 01:45:22 pm »

See this is why I suspected, but a beersmith article (which are not always totally accurate in my experience) about fining agents said gelatin was good for proteins and tannins but did not mention yeast. My beer is already yeast free, so I went with gelatin. The beer is a wheat so it of course has a greater level of protein that all barley beers and I used less whirlfloc than I usually do for this brew so I was trying to 'fix' the protein haze with a fining agent. Good to know that gelatin is not super protein effective, but other than inadequate mixing this does not explain why the gelatin has not found its way to the bottom of the keg yet.

unless you made jello- and a big clump formed! presume you haven't had any thick first pours with sediment?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline chandlergr

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 01:49:55 pm »

unless you made jello- and a big clump formed! presume you haven't had any thick first pours with sediment?

Nope no thick pours, no gooey jelloey mess, just the same beer. The gelatin had certainly not solidified into jello before adding, just a viscous mixture.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 01:51:39 pm »
FWIW, I remember making a beer where I used some flaked wheat - not a lot, under 1/2 lb. I wanted to clear it up a bit and used gelatin. It cleared the wheat protein haze completely out. I'm sure at higher levels of flaked grains it gets tougher.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 01:57:29 pm »
post a pic of the beer.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline chandlergr

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 02:00:01 pm »
post a pic of the beer.

Ok I will post pics of the gelatin 'fined' beer and the same beer without gelatin added (have two kegs of it and I just added gelatin to one for comparison) when I get home. Will not be for about 1.5 hours tho.