Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gelatin not working?  (Read 4529 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Gelatin not working?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 02:08:12 pm »
I don't think you need to stir anything.  I have been adding hot gelatin mixture onto cold beer without stirring for years with overnight results.  I figure as the gelatin temperature reaches equilibrium it sinks to the bottom because it is more dense and takes all the haze with it. 
I agree with dmtaylor on this.  Maybe you haven't picked it up because your dip tube is off the bottom of the keg.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 02:16:36 pm »
I don't think you need to stir anything.  I have been adding hot gelatin mixture onto cold beer without stirring for years with overnight results.  I figure as the gelatin temperature reaches equilibrium it sinks to the bottom because it is more dense and takes all the haze with it. 
I agree with dmtaylor on this.  Maybe you haven't picked it up because your dip tube is off the bottom of the keg.

This is my process as well. For some reason I have been getting mixed results lately. Some beers clear very fast while others will take 1-2 weeks so at that point I feel that I didn't follow the correct process or something. My current lager cleared extremely fast but that is probably also due to the nature of very flocculant lager yeast.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 02:27:09 pm »
I don't stir the gelatin in.  I'd be pretty leery of stirring the beer much after it's fermented.

Gelatin should be able to knock out chill haze, as well as yeast.

I've found it works pretty effectively and I just pour it into the top of the keg.

It should diffuse throughout the beer and settle out.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 02:30:17 pm »
No need to stir anything.  Generally I swirl the fermenter (or keg in this case) a bit and then pour the gelatin in.  The pre-swirling helps to ensure the gelatin will be well incorporated into the beer and not immediately form a pancake someplace.  Use the same process for Polyclar.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline chandlergr

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 04:29:52 pm »
Ok everybody, a real smh moment here. While I was taking a picture of the two beers to post, I realized that the gelatin fined beer is, in fact, clearer now. I guess it was just a time thing. Took a total of 3 days, and I would not be surprised if it continued to clear a bit more. Never got any sludge, but I suppose the goo has just caked around the dip tube and is holding steady. Thanks for all your help and insight even if it just came down to impatience!

EDIT: correction, took 4 days to show a difference, not 3
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:42:59 am by chandlergr »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 04:41:23 pm »
Ok everybody, a real smh moment here. While I was taking a picture of the two beers to post, I realized that the gelatin fined beer is, in fact, clearer now. I guess it was just a time thing. Took a total of 3 days, and I would not be surprised if it continued to clear a bit more. Never got any sludge, but I suppose the goo has just caked around the dip tube and is holding steady. Thanks for all your help and insight even if it just came down to impatience!

Awesome. This thread just shows there are several ways to use gelatin. Enjoy !
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 05:01:12 pm »

EDIT: correction, took 4 days to show a difference, not 3

When I gel fine my beers I close transfer cold beer on top of the gelatin in the keg, then give it a healthy shake after purging to be sure it is mixed in evenly.  Pop the keg in the serving fridge with the gas on and pour my first glass 4-5 days later usually to a perfectly clear and carbonated beer.  YMMV