Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Preferred Gap Setting?  (Read 6889 times)

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
Re: Preferred Gap Setting?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 05:59:48 am »
I have to admit I expected more for as much as it cost. But I was limited on options because I had a gift card that paid for it.

I still have my old MM-2 mill as a backup, and got good results with conditioning. Just reserve a lb or 2 of your grist and run it dry through the mill after. That picks up most of the residual moisture - and you can let it air dry in a ventilated place. I have not seen any rust or corrosion at all.

This is good advice I hadn't thought of. Thanks!
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 07:01:23 pm »
My advice is to keep whatever gap setting you settle on once you find your favorite.  If I change mine I can no longer predict my OG very well.  If I leave it alone, I get consistent efficiency and know I can design a recipe and at least get the OG spot on every time.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 07:19:16 pm »
My advice is to keep whatever gap setting you settle on once you find your favorite.  If I change mine I can no longer predict my OG very well.  If I leave it alone, I get consistent efficiency and know I can design a recipe and at least get the OG spot on every time.

Yes, I think this is the beauty or the reason behind my choice of the pre-set JSP Maltmill. The crush is set permanently, so once you dial in your crush and the resulting efficiency, you're all set. You can then figure all your recipes based on that number. That predictability is what I was looking for, and the JSP delivered. I actually get 79% eficiency on most of my recipes, albeit a little less if the grist has 50% wheat, etc. So, I know what I'm going to get. And, I think I read somewhere along  the journey that the goal shouldn't be 100% efficiency, that there is a sweet spot for efficiency somewhere around 80% where you are getting the most of your ingredients without any negative effects which might be gotten from an higher yield.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 05:59:10 pm »
I have my mill set at the width of a credit card. I also condition my grain for 15 min before crushing. I get a pretty consistent 80% mash efficiency doing BIAB.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 06:49:44 pm »
I have my mill set at the width of a credit card. I also condition my grain for 15 min before crushing. I get a pretty consistent 80% mash efficiency doing BIAB.
I will be that guy and say - thickness of 0.30 inches. Width is pretty darned wide!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 08:32:56 pm »

I will be that guy and say - thickness of 0.30 inches. Width is pretty darned wide!
Really? Mine is set about .34 and I am satisfied. I do hear that one can go very tight with conditioning.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 05:57:09 am »

Really? Mine is set about .34 and I am satisfied. I do hear that one can go very tight with conditioning.
Yep, and I was thinking of going even tighter since I started conditioning but I was getting such a good 80% efficiency consistency I left it alone.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 08:42:35 am »
Feeling fine with .039
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2015, 08:43:18 am »
Good info everyone! I am going to change up my mash tun a bit and build a rectangular false bottom with perforated stainless. Not by choice, but my cooler has an odd middle drain with a tight angle on the inside. I've used a CPVC manifold and stainless braid, but I have too much dead space. Your suggestions got me thinking of the perforation size I'll have to get. The more I think, the deeper the rabbit hole goes.
TJ Cook

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Preferred Gap Setting?
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2015, 08:52:48 am »
Is it an older style Coleman Xtreme? If so, ditch the manifold idea and batch sparge with either a hose braid or bazooka tube. Those coolers seem purpose built when you add a bazooka screen.

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 02:36:45 pm »
Is it an older style Coleman Xtreme? If so, ditch the manifold idea and batch sparge with either a hose braid or bazooka tube. Those coolers seem purpose built when you add a bazooka screen.

It's actually a Rubbermaid 5 day cooler. It's been a PITA since I bought it. I bought it at Menard's and wonder if it wasn't a reject from the factory. The hole size for the drain is a little too big for 1/2" bulk head setups, the drain trough is too short to use a rigid connection, and it has a weak exterior. The manifold I used before worked good, but was allowing too much grain through. The braid is an awesome filter, but has to arch up from my drain connection causing dead space. A false bottom should allow me to completely drain the tun and keep good filtration, with a braid installed in it for extra filtration of fine particles. Now I just need to make sure my mill setting doesn't cause too small of crush with the stainless I find.
TJ Cook