Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort Aeration - Pt. 1: Shaken vs. Nothing | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 2656 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Brülosophy contributor Ray Found did an exBEERiment comparing shake aeration to no aeration. Results are in!

http://brulosophy.com/2015/05/25/wort-aeration-pt-1-shaken-vs-nothing-exbeeriment-results/

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Wort Aeration - Pt. 1: Shaken vs. Nothing | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 04:45:46 pm »
Thank you! My hunch is that there is sufficient oxygen being introduced into the fermenter, enough to facilitate proper fermentation. Whether through the wort splashing, just some light splashing of the wort while moving the fermenter, or even present oxygen in the empty fermenter.
These experiments continue to surprise me and reiterate the idea that there are very few constants in this hobby.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 05:53:21 pm »
I really dig these as discussion starters. I think its fair to say after this experiment that of those five people, only one could tell the difference between shaken vs not shaken wort of a highly hopped ale. I would not extrapolate that to mean that you dont have to aerate or oxygenate, and I dont think the findings of the experiment are suggesting that.

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 06:43:48 pm »
I would not extrapolate that to mean that you dont have to aerate or oxygenate, and I dont think the findings of the experiment are suggesting that.

I agree. I wonder what would happen if this were repeated with, say, a Helles?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 07:29:15 pm »
One way to find out. Get someone to try it and let you know.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 07:41:39 pm »
I would not extrapolate that to mean that you dont have to aerate or oxygenate, and I dont think the findings of the experiment are suggesting that.

Exactly. That would really show whether it counts or not.
Jesse

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:40:16 am »

100% agree!

Sidenote-- anyone else having trouble with the Tapatalk app lately?

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 05:41:48 am »

We have plenty more O2 xBmts in the chamber, so to speak :)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 06:57:08 am »
I would guess that part of this result is due to the well built starters. If the yeast going in all had copious reserves of the fatty acids they need to generate new cells than their o2 requirements are much much lower.

I'm not sure how one would actually isolate that piece though. perhaps with a lower gravity wort to start and no starter. pitch a single vial into each 1.040 wort and compare again.

and as mentioned by the author, a very hoppy beer is maybe not the best option. I would think a simple english pale ale would be a good bet for this.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 07:08:29 am »
Does anyone know how German breweries oxygenate? Is it within the rules of Reinheitsgebot to inject pure O2 into the wort?
Jesse

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 07:22:00 am »
Does anyone know how German breweries oxygenate? Is it within the rules of Reinheitsgebot to inject pure O2 into the wort?

For the breweries who topcrop the krausen yeast, you could argue that they don't need to oxygenate at all since the yeast is very well exposed to oxygen already.

Remember that fad about 5 or 6 years ago about using olive oil to "oxygenate" instead of aeration?  Same concept, except that the olive oil thing probably doesn't actually work.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 07:38:59 am »
We have plenty more O2 xBmts in the chamber, so to speak :)

Excellent! Thank you for doing these.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 09:27:06 am »
I really dig these as discussion starters. I think its fair to say after this experiment that of those five people, only one could tell the difference between shaken vs not shaken wort of a highly hopped ale. I would not extrapolate that to mean that you dont have to aerate or oxygenate, and I dont think the findings of the experiment are suggesting that.

You could look at this in 2 ways....either that doing nothing works as well as shaking, or that shaking works as poorly as doing nothing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 09:34:56 am »
I have just been pumping ales <1.060 into the fermenter, that causes lots of slashing and foam. Lagers and real big beers get 02.

I have been contemplating throttling the pump to get less flow and splashing for English Bitters.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 10:09:52 am »
I have just been pumping ales <1.060 into the fermenter, that causes lots of slashing and foam. Lagers and real big beers get 02.

I have been contemplating throttling the pump to get less flow and splashing for English Bitters.

I've been finding the same thing, Jeff.  By the time I get the wort pumped into the fermenter is appears to be well aerated.  Results bear that out.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell