Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Question about slight over-prime. Need advice  (Read 1099 times)

Offline witster

• 1st Kit
Question about slight over-prime. Need advice
« on: June 10, 2015, 04:38:16 am »
So i brewed a few batches for my mantrip, and need some advice on the last batch. I batted about .500 on 6 batches of brew over the last 6wks(3 of 6 taste really great, 3 r just 'o.k.'). This last batch was a super basic americal ale with 8.5lbs of weyerman pale, a little crisp crystal(10l, 60l), two cascade addition, nothing mind blowing( i was bunting for a single so to speak, as many of the early batches were out of the box)..  Everything went perfect from brew to fermentation, hit all targets, perfect temp control, then i made a miscalculation at bottling and dropped 4.1oz of dextrose in 3.9 gallons of brew. Now, i know that wasnt "way" off, but still. I bottled 72 hrs ago and they're already pushing over-carbonation.

I have thrown them in the fridge to slow the process, but while the brews were green and not fully conditioned, my trip is in 9 days and i need some advice on how to continue to halt the carbonating process but somehow still " condition or further advance the taste profile as if they weren't being fridged. I havent been brewing long(3yrs), but i do brew quite a bit( a lot actually), i've seen the benefits of patience and rm tmps in conditioning, but i dont know my best course of action here. How do i help this beer "ripen" yet stop this carbonation. Do i have to keep it it the fridge till consumption? Can i near freeze the cases. Rt now theyre n my fridge, this basic batch has potential to b a solid ale, how do i yield the best result over the course of the next 9 days?  Used t58, didnt do a starter on this batch(dont usually with t58). I could use some advice on this one.

Partial freeze return to rm tmp?(no clue but thought crossed my mind)
Just keep fridged?
Other advice?
I  actually put one case in fridge and the rest are still sitting at rm tmp( guess waiting ti see just how overcarbed they'll get, but i'd liketo yield the best result possible with   my time constraints on the case thats currently n fridge.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 05:46:55 am by witster »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Question about slight over-prime. Need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 07:45:02 am »
If you think they are badly overcarbed and still carbing, you could open them to release pressure and recap them quickly.

Not an ideal solution, but better than bottle bombs.

If you do this, I'd make it a two person operation so they can be recapped as quickly as possible.  I don't think you need to take the cap off completely, just enough to release some pressure.

FTR-  I have never done this, but I've seen where others claim to have done so.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline witster

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 08:10:09 am »
Yea i've done the recapping and fridging before both can work but recapping creates a pretty inconsistent product bottle to bottle and im a little anal with these batches every year..  Didnt know if there were other options...   Does anyone know if a flash quick freeze(just n the neck would pretty much stop it the same way as recapping, or refridging without losing the 'conditioning' aspects by then returning them to rm tmp.. Or is that just gonna kill the flavor mellowing anyway? Thanks for the response joe.. That is an option, just one i was trying to avoid

Offline stevecrawshaw

• Cellarman
    • My Recipes
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:14:36 am »
You can just "vent" the crown caps. lift them very gently using a bottle opener until they hiss and then stop. The cap should reseal, but you can just apply the capper again if you are paranoid.
I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.