Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitizing tap  (Read 2874 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Sanitizing tap
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 12:20:27 pm »
My experience with those plugs was that they did more harm than good.
I haven't used them, but was considering it.  What harm are you referring to?

They caused my Perlicks to develop a noticeable odor of stale beer.  Turns out I was better off letting them air dry between pours. 

Fortunately, I don't have an issue with fruit flies so there was no compelling reason to continue using them.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 06:49:26 am »
I use the faucet cap shown in the same amazon link that Hoosier posted. It stays on the outside and the reservoir tip catches the drip without trapping stale beer in the faucet.

These, along with picnic taps, need to be cleaned regularly.  I've had some real schmutz form in a picnic tap.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:51:04 am by rob_f »
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 03:06:10 pm »
I just keep a squirt bottle of Star San and hit the tap after pouring. It drains out into the drip tray and air dries clean.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 05:45:46 am »
I just keep a squirt bottle of Star San and hit the tap after pouring. It drains out into the drip tray and air dries clean.

Do this and there'll be no issues.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 06:39:55 am »
Regarding the "stale beer" comment, I usually pour out a quarter pint of the first pour if the beer has sat in the line too long. That takes care of that. I also clean the plugs regularly with hot water. I also keep a squirt bottle of sanitizer handy on my kegerator to spray the plugs clean and spray up into the taps. Makes a huge difference.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 09:54:15 am »
I guess everyone's experiences are different, but I've not found the need to discard beer that has been sitting in the lines, sanitize the faucets between pours, or use faucet caps.

The only time I sanitize my faucets is when I'm bottling beers for competition.  I'll unscrew the spouts and dunk them in Iodophor and also spray some Iodophor up into the faucets.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 07:21:08 pm »
I thought plugs weren't for forward sealing faucets - well at least a few years ago when I checked.   ::)  Similar to narcout, I normally only sanitize my spouts before bottling off of the kegerator.  I use star san in a squirt bottle with RO water.  Occasionally I sanitize my lines and/or even remove and clean the entire faucet with BLC.

However, my kegerator is safe in the basement - no flies, etc.