Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Packing and Shipping  (Read 1748 times)

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
Packing and Shipping
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:31:36 am »
I recently (last weekend) organized the COC for extracts and have some comments about packing and shipping of entries

The use of gel freezer packs should be discouraged as they never last long enough and tend to make the whole package very messy when the leak/break - we had 3 entries that had these packs and they were all blown all over.

Individually wrapped and bagged bottles fair better and do not affect the neighbors if one breaks or leaks. We had 2 leakers and both caused problems with the bottle labels in the box. However the entire packages were double bagged and nothing leaked out to cause delivery problems. Some packages were packed to the extreme with vacuum sealed bags, styrofoam and such. These methods work but add to the waste stream.

Leaking bottles in this case were caused by suspect crimps. One entry the cap was completely off the bottle and could be snapped back on but would spin on the top. Check you bottles prior to shipping.

If you have a highly carbonated style with 3-3.5 volumes or more please bottle in heavy bottles to prevent the possibility of agitated bottle bombs - this was not an issue for us but I felt should be noted.

Please do not use packing peanuts as these provide no protection for the contents in most cases and just fill out the box. Bubble wrap or pillow packing is a much better and less messy solution.

Double check that your paperwork in inside the box. We had 3 entries show up with no entry fee and one show up with no entry form

Verify that the shipper did not fat finger the address for your package. On entry almost did not make it due to a fat finger address on the shipping label, although the correct address was on the package elsewhere

If anyone has any questions or comments about the process I am happy to give my input. Thanks.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
Re: Packing and Shipping
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 12:04:26 pm »
Ric,
Thanks for starting a good thread!  This is all great information for people sending entries to homebrew competitions.
Cheers,
    Janis

Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org