Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vegetarian meal at the banquet  (Read 1404 times)

S. cerevisiae

Vegetarian meal at the banquet
« on: May 26, 2015, 10:05:49 am »
If there is any chance that you might want a vegetarian or vegan meal, please make sure that you take the time to request it before attending NHC.  The poor servers ran out of vegetarian meals last year because so many people changed their minds at the last minute.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Vegetarian meal at the banquet
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 11:07:08 am »
A woman at our table had to wait to get hers (she had ordered a veggie meal).  We were already on dessert when she got her meal.  She was cool about it, unlike the rest of us meat eaters.  Chef Paxton came by the table and was noticeably upset that she didn't get her meal.

I know the recipe planning is an involved process, but maybe the menu could be released earlier to registered attendees so they can decide if they like what's being served and can change their selection?  Last year, I don't think some were pleased with ham hocks and sausage (I loved them) and switched at the last minute.  In Seattle, there was a guy at my table who was pissed because he didn't eat fish (again, the salmon was great).
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 12:35:17 pm »
I've been pleased with the banquet selections in the past. We will have a new chef this year. I'm looking forward to it. Full meatitarian here!
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:42:22 pm »
While pork and seafood (especially shellfish) are at the top of the list of food items that one does not serve without notifying one's guests, I do not see the AHA posting a menu of choices ahead of time.  I can see how giving people entree choices could be a nightmare at NHC scale.  I am fairly certain that there are times when a planned item is not available at NHC scale, and a last minute substitution has to be made to the menu.  It is easier to address the outliers. 

My advice is to order a vegetarian or vegan meal if there are any animal products that one will not eat because the NHC banquet is like a box of chocolates.  I eat a mostly plant-based diet (i.e., what is known as a flexitarian diet) for various reasons, so I am cool with a vegetarian meal.  The AHA is also attempting to accommodate dietary restrictions; therefore, if anyone has religious, food allergy, health, or simply "I would rather starve than eat" dietary restrictions, now is the time to speak.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 03:23:04 pm »
I've been pleased with the banquet selections in the past. We will have a new chef this year. I'm looking forward to it. Full meatitarian here!

New Chef?  What's up with that?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 03:39:52 pm »

The BA/AHA now does so many events that they have their own chef.  I'll miss Sean, but I'm interested to see what this guy does.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 06:42:58 pm »

If the Good Lord didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 09:35:34 pm »

This guy is on the BA Staff now.
https://www.brewersassociation.org/press-releases/adam-dulye-named-executive-chef-of-brewers-association-and-craftbeer-com/

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 07:47:01 am »

If the Good Lord didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Tell that to Jeffery Dahmer.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 08:01:25 am »

Tell that to Jeffery Dahmer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaFZTAOb7IE
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 08:43:58 am »
Looking for a club near my new house