Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort Aeration - Pt. 1: Shaken vs. Nothing | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 2642 times)

Offline dunngood

• Cellarman
Re: Wort Aeration - Pt. 1: Shaken vs. Nothing | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 01:04:57 pm »
I would like to see an experiment done using pure o2 to get the wort up to 10ppm+ that is recommended. I will try that this summer.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 01:27:51 pm »

I really dig these as discussion starters. I think its fair to say after this experiment that of those five people, only one could tell the difference between shaken vs not shaken wort of a highly hopped ale. I would not extrapolate that to mean that you dont have to aerate or oxygenate, and I dont think the findings of the experiment are suggesting that.

You could look at this in 2 ways....either that doing nothing works as well as shaking, or that shaking works as poorly as doing nothing.
Indeed.

I have just been pumping ales <1.060 into the fermenter, that causes lots of slashing and foam. Lagers and real big beers get 02.

I have been contemplating throttling the pump to get less flow and splashing for English Bitters.
I make lager quite often, never once used O2, never once have had issues with fermentation.

I would like to see an experiment done using pure o2 to get the wort up to 10ppm+ that is recommended. I will try that this summer.
We have it planned, though I don't have a DO meter so the O2 level will be predicted.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 01:40:35 pm »

Sidenote-- anyone else having trouble with the Tapatalk app lately?

It seems to be behaving reasonably well for me today.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 01:41:21 pm »

Sidenote-- anyone else having trouble with the Tapatalk app lately?

It seems to be behaving reasonably well for me today.
Yeah, it's back to good for me now as well. Thanks!

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 09:19:44 pm »

I really dig these as discussion starters. I think its fair to say after this experiment that of those five people, only one could tell the difference between shaken vs not shaken wort of a highly hopped ale. I would not extrapolate that to mean that you dont have to aerate or oxygenate, and I dont think the findings of the experiment are suggesting that.

You could look at this in 2 ways....either that doing nothing works as well as shaking, or that shaking works as poorly as doing nothing.
Indeed.

I have just been pumping ales <1.060 into the fermenter, that causes lots of slashing and foam. Lagers and real big beers get 02.

I have been contemplating throttling the pump to get less flow and splashing for English Bitters.
I make lager quite often, never once used O2, never once have had issues with fermentation.

We have it planned, though I don't have a DO meter so the O2 level will be predicted.
a long time ago I won awards without paying attention to my O2 or pitch rate for lagers. Once I did, I won awards for the lagers more frequently, and I like the taste of the beer better. It works for me.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 08:00:54 am »
I suspect the reason for the acceptable results is an adequate starter was pitched. Try it again using far less yeast than ideal and I suspect the results would be less acceptable.

I also think if it is attempted again the beers should be presented to a group of judges to evaluate. Not just which is better, but a full evaluation on a score sheet. Which is better when someone comes over to the hacienda is dependent upon what they did (read as ate or drank) prior to tasting the beer.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline unclebrazzie

• Brewer
  • Edegem - Belgium
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 03:00:17 am »
I'm siding with the "healthy/voluminous starter/pitch > need for extensive aeration" camp.

From personal experience: I've had a 1.120 impy stout ferment anaerated to 1.021 with US-05 without breaking a sweat. Pitched an activated sachet plus the relatively fresh cake (not even a starter) of a previous batch of lower SG beer.

To me, this indicates that, on the homebrew level, aeration is less important that most of us believe. Healthy yeast, now there's something which cannot be overestimated.
All truth is fiction.
--Don Quichote