Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Might have a problem  (Read 2342 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Might have a problem
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 05:31:45 am »
If you don't want to waste the extra money on an extra pitch of 1007 then you could try pitching an active pint starter of Lalvin EC-1118 dry champagne yeast.  They are typically sold in 5 g packets and are very pH and alcohol tolerant.  Only costs around $1 and if it doesn't work then you know you are done at that FG (1.018). 

Have you tried rousing the yeast up in suspension?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 06:02:02 am »
If you don't want to waste the extra money on an extra pitch of 1007 then you could try pitching an active pint starter of Lalvin EC-1118 dry champagne yeast.  They are typically sold in 5 g packets and are very pH and alcohol tolerant.  Only costs around $1 and if it doesn't work then you know you are done at that FG (1.018). 

Have you tried rousing the yeast up in suspension?

Yes, I've been rousing and raising the temp over the last couple days, currently at almost 70oF and still no movement. I think I'll pick up some EC-1118 today and give it a try. This should also help with the carbonation process in the bottle since the 1007 doesn't seem to be doing anything unless someone has another suggestion aside form Brett, I really don't want to go that route.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 09:26:19 am »
EC-1118 won't do much good if your problem is an abundance of complex sugars. It's a good yeast for chomping up simple sugars under rough conditions.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 09:58:32 am »
EC-1118 won't do much good if your problem is an abundance of complex sugars. It's a good yeast for chomping up simple sugars under rough conditions.
I really don't think its a wort issue. The recipe is basically pilsner and wheat and a touch of Munich. I employ a step mash and all mash temps were spot on as in previous batches. Past batches with the same process and ingredients finished 9-10 points lower than this batch is sitting:(

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 06:26:21 am »
Doomed from the start:( woke up this morning to pitch EC-1118, opened the bucket and find Pedio has taken hold, bummer.

So from what I understand my "sick" batch in 3-4 months won't be "sick" anymore so do I let it ride and hope for a decent sour beer or pitch it and chalk it up to a lost batch?

Since it started as a hibiscus Gose I really don't know know if its worth the time? Thoughts and opinions?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 06:51:23 am »
I guess it depends on if you can spare the fermenter that long. If you caught a decent strain of pedio it might be good. It might also have some tag alongs...

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 07:12:48 am »
I can spare the bucket, that's not a problem, there is a fair amount of headspace and since pedio makes no co2 I am concerned I about oxidation over 3-4 months as well as diacetyl although my prior gravity sample yielded no trace.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 03:43:07 pm »
If in fact you do have a pedio infection (wondering what makes you think you have one BTW?), then you will most definitely have to pitch some brett to clean up the diacetyl that the pedio will produce over time.  Otherwise the beer will become a rancid, butter bomb.  At this point (if you are convinced it is pedio), then I would probably pitch a couple bottles of sour dregs, and rack it to a carboy for extended aging.  It will probably turn out pretty good given 6-9 mos or so. 

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 04:35:17 pm »
If in fact you do have a pedio infection (wondering what makes you think you have one BTW?), then you will most definitely have to pitch some brett to clean up the diacetyl that the pedio will produce over time.  Otherwise the beer will become a rancid, butter bomb.  At this point (if you are convinced it is pedio), then I would probably pitch a couple bottles of sour dregs, and rack it to a carboy for extended aging.  It will probably turn out pretty good given 6-9 mos or so.
Opened her up today to find a nice white/gray ropey film on top of the beer with characteristic small gray bubble looking growth, also referenced what I saw with various on line pedio images:(

I simply decided I was done fighting this batch and dumped it. I've got the bucket and everything that came in contact with the batch soaking in a bleach solution right now.

Kind of bummed so we'll tackle my Czech pilsner next week and the Gose will be for another day:)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 09:56:17 pm »
Sorry to hear that.  At least you now know why the krausen never formed...  I also took some good info away from this thread, as I'm sure others did, so it definitely wasn't a total loss. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 05:51:35 am »
Well better luck next time, Gary. Always sucks to dump, but the next batch of good beer always helps ease the pain.
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 06:07:59 am »
Yeah, even when you think you got things nailed down something can still go wrong, always learning. Never had a pedio issue before.