Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "War Stories":13-Locusts messing up brewing schedule  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
"War Stories":13-Locusts messing up brewing schedule
« on: May 29, 2015, 07:58:59 am »
We've got a hatch of 13- year locusts here that's messing with my brewing schedule.  I brew outside, and I'm afraid  I could end up with quite a few in my brew pot -especially with stirring during the boiling phase.  Not sure what that would do for the flavor not to mention the extra protein.

I'm going to postpone brewing for another week or two although that means I may run out of my home-brewed supply before the next batch is brewed, fermented and aged.

Does anyone else have some good stories about unusual or unexpected challenges?
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: "War Stories":13-Locusts messing up brewing schedule
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 08:12:49 am »
We've got a hatch of 13- year locusts here that's messing with my brewing schedule.  I brew outside, and I'm afraid  I could end up with quite a few in my brew pot -especially with stirring during the boiling phase.  Not sure what that would do for the flavor not to mention the extra protein.

I'm going to postpone brewing for another week or two although that means I may run out of my home-brewed supply before the next batch is brewed, fermented and aged.

Does anyone else have some good stories about unusual or unexpected challenges?

Not unusual but winter weather always screws me up.  That and my wife always wants to run the dryer (vent is right over where I brew outside) when I'm starting my cooling :)

You story reminds me of this movie when I was a kid:

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:20:18 am »
No story but could you put a screen over your brew pot?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 09:41:49 am »
I do have a screen that I could put over it when I'm not stirring it, but there are still enough flying around that I would probably get quite a few in when it's uncovered while I'm stirring it,

I seem to have to stir for several minutes at a time when it approaches boiling and the "hot break."
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:09:34 am »
I have found more than one bumble bee in the bottom of my brew pot several times when brewing during the summer.  I changed the name of my American wheat to "Bumblebee Wheat" due to this several years ago.  It's never seemed cause any problems.

In the Fall just about every beer has maple tree leaves in them and in the Spring it's maple seeds (the helicopter type).

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 10:12:48 am »
One or two of the locusts wouldn't bother me, but I think a bunch could end up there.