Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning equipment after and before?  (Read 2932 times)

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
Cleaning equipment after and before?
« on: May 31, 2015, 08:21:07 pm »
After my first batch, in every stage of brewing (wort, ferment, bottle), I have cleaned all equipment with PBW and rinsed well. Forgive me if this sounds like an idiotic question but.... I gotta ask!

Do I clean the equipment again just before use, somewhat of a secondary cleaning or was the initial cleaning that I did after brew day/bottle day sufficient?

Cheers!
Na zdrowie!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Cleaning equipment after and before?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 08:27:33 pm »
After my first batch, in every stage of brewing (wort, ferment, bottle), I have cleaned all equipment with PBW and rinsed well. Forgive me if this sounds like an idiotic question but.... I gotta ask!

Do I clean the equipment again just before use, somewhat of a secondary cleaning or was the initial cleaning that I did after brew day/bottle day sufficient?
One cleaning is sufficient. Store everything covered and/or upside down so no dust can get in them. You do need to sanitize anything that touches the wort/beer after the boil. I'd do that right before use. I prefer to keep Star-San in a spray bottle for that purpose.

Great forum handle, by the way. The Stand is one of my favorite King novels, and the miniseries from about 15 years ago was really good, too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 08:58:02 pm »
I clean everything after use. Put away clean. Quick rinse/ sanitize before use
- Charles

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:07:45 am »

+1 Same here.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 07:49:26 am »

+1 Same here.
+2 This is almost always my process as well. 

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 08:01:19 am »
Some days I don't want to clean and almost talk myself into "I'll just clean it tomorrow" but thankfully I've never done that.  Always clean after and then rinse the spider webs out before brewing.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 08:19:56 am »

+1 Same here.
+2 This is almost always my process as well. 

+3
Jon H.

Offline nivrac

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 08:21:38 am »
I clean after, then put away the equipment in plastic bins.  Then clean and sanitize before using it again.  I'm a clean freak, I even mop the garage floor with bleach prior to brewing.
When in doubt, take a break and drink a beer!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 08:34:53 am »
Depends on the equipment, I suppose.  I usually clean as I go on brew days (e.g. once I'm done sparging, I give the HLT a quick rinse and dry it off, and then I'll scoop the grain out of the MLT into the composter and wash and dry it while boiling).  Since those are dry and covered, I usually don't do anything to them on brew days unless there's a spider web or something on them.  Quick visual inspection and maybe a spray and they're fine.  After the wort is in the fermenter, I backflush the plate chiller to clear the chiller and line to the BK.  Then the BK gets washed.  I drain the water filters and plate chiller and I have some plastic caps to keep anything from crawling into them.  After the beer is fermented and kegged, I'll do an Oxyclean Free soak of the fermenters and rinse them well (that's also how I typically clean the kegs).

On brew days, the only other cleaning related activity I typically perform is to mix sanitizer for the fermenters in the BK and then run it through the chiller to sanitize the chiller while sanitizing the fermenters.  I typically then drain the fermenters into clean kegs to sanitize them.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 09:08:24 am »

Cheers!

I used to clean twice.  Now I do what most of the other posters do, clean immediately after brewing and then rise everything out right before the next use.  I have never had any problems with this method.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 03:25:37 pm »
I clean after, then put away the equipment in plastic bins.  Then clean and sanitize before using it again.  I'm a clean freak, I even mop the garage floor with bleach prior to brewing.

You know, if you do it this way, who can say you're a freak? With brewing, clean always wins, and clean habits ensure a better product.

There is the opposite of this which is slobbiness. And with that you are just asking for trouble. "Too clean??" I don't think so.

You just need to find what works for you, and do it consistently. Your beer will reward you for it.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 04:03:56 pm »
Cleaning before and after has been my M O for years. Overkill? Maybe, but I've opened lower gravity (under 1.050) bottles of beer over a year old that were still really good.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline M-O-O-N That spells beer!

• Assistant Brewer
  • South Jersey
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 05:13:11 pm »
Thanks everyone for all of the responses. I'm looking forward to starting my next batch!

Cheers!
Na zdrowie!

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 07:33:36 pm »
You are wasting time and money sanitizing anything on the hot side...by all means clean and sani everything on the cold side...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 06:07:42 am »
I was going to also say that, just make sure you understand you don't need to sanitize the mash tun or boil kettle. That would be a silly and redundant waste of time. As far as cleaning goes, yes, only clean up after brewday is really necessary and it's best to clean up right away or at least first thing the next morning if it was  a late one.