Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Accidental Dampfbier  (Read 1269 times)

Offline nxlvlrs

• 1st Kit
Accidental Dampfbier
« on: July 02, 2015, 12:51:51 pm »
Hello,
So yesterday I went to my LHBS to pick up the ingredients for what was to be my first all grain Hefeweizen.  I was distracted all day, forgot to print the recipe, was in a hurry, and just didn't have my head on me at the shop. Long story short, I ended up with 8 lb of Pilsner malt, not 6 lb of the wheat I had set out to get. I'll take my lumps on this one, a pretty stupid mistake.  with that said, I am planning to forge ahead and try making lemonade out of lemons OR a Dampfbier out of Hefeweisen as it were. 

8LB  Pilsner Malt
2LB  Vienna Malt

1 oz Hallertauer 60 min
1 oz Hallertauer 15 min

Of interest/would love feedback:  I am planning on pitching both WL300 AND WL380 (to keep with my original hefeweizen recipe) to get both the Banana and Clove notes in this beer.

I also am planning to ferment between 68 and 70 Farenheit and rack into a corny under pressure for the secondary.

Anybody have any thoughts, advice, or comments?

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Accidental Dampfbier
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:19:48 pm »
I've used hefe yeast with a barley grist a couple times and have not been disappointed.

I'd try to keep the temp down towards 62, though.  That's the point where the banana/clove balances best.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline nxlvlrs

• 1st Kit
Re: Accidental Dampfbier
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 01:09:04 pm »
Thanks for the advice, mashing out right now. I think for this one I'll heed your advice and keep the temp down. I appreciate it!