Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegerator Tower Question (clamps)  (Read 1707 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Kegerator Tower Question (clamps)
« on: May 30, 2015, 08:50:47 am »
I was finally getting around to setting up my kegerator and the first thing I did was replace the nylon lines that came with the tower. I noticed that when I tried to replace the Oetiker style clamps with worm gear clamps that I couldn't get the beer line and clamp back into the tower through the hex nut.

Obviously, I need to use an Oetiker or PEX style clamp so it'll slide through. Will PEX style clamps work the same as Oetiker style? The PEX is widely available locally at HD stores.

Can I secure either of these styles without the specific hand tool? Any work arounds?

Finally, if there is another option for securing the beer line outside of these two options? Can I get away with no clamp in the tower?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:48:27 am by flbrewer »

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: Kegerator Tower Question (clamps)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 09:36:13 am »
I would go with Oetiker.  You can get a relatively cheap version of the clamping tool at most online homebrew supply places.  Something like this (it's basically a nail puller):
http://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Tridon-61001V-Crimp-Clamp-Tool/dp/B001UL4ALS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432999890&sr=8-2&keywords=oetiker+clamp+kit

I also order my clamps through Amazon.  The real Oetiker tool has some neat features, but they're relatively pricey.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 09:42:03 am »
Is there any real difference (for our use) in the PEX or Oetiker?

I suppose PEX isn't a good description, I mean these...http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Stainless-Steel-PEX-Clamp-10-Pack-UC953A/202032891
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:48:49 am by flbrewer »

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 01:56:52 pm »
Is there any real difference (for our use) in the PEX or Oetiker?

I suppose PEX isn't a good description, I mean these...http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-1-2-in-Stainless-Steel-PEX-Clamp-10-Pack-UC953A/202032891
Those are what I use and have never had a leak. You do need a crimp tool but they are readily available. I use them for irrigation system lines as well, no leaks ever:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 01:57:42 pm »
Just ended up ordering the Oetikers online. Couldn't find a close enough size at the big box.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 01:58:54 pm »
You know I didn't use a clamp on the picnic tap setup I had before, the fit was so tight. Am I tempting fate with no clamps in the meantime.

Offline 3bbrewing

• Retailers
  • Cellarman
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 01:34:44 pm »
Just don't serve at 30 psi or something crazy like that.  ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 07:10:55 pm »
AAAANNNDDDD I got my first leak! Shame on me for trying to run this kegerator without clamps. Luckily it was  only a pint or so of beer, but what a damn mess.