General Category > All Grain Brewing

Adjunct mash procedure

(1/3) > >>

brookspn:
I have been reading up on standard American adjunct mash procedures in preparation for doing some Belgian style wheat beers (lambic, wit, etc) and wondered if any of you had done this.  If so, what where the hiccups and what might I need to look out for?

bonjour:
Do a search on the internet for Classic American Pilsner.  That style typically requires a cereal mash which is whet you are looking for.  I have not done one to this point.

a10t2:
Does a cereal mash really do anything that boiling the adjuncts doesn't?

Anyway, Palmer covers it pretty well (pg 174, doesn't seem to be in the first edition).

intrinsic:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on November 11, 2009, 09:20:10 PM ---Does a cereal mash really do anything that boiling the adjuncts doesn't?

Anyway, Palmer covers it pretty well (pg 174, doesn't seem to be in the first edition).

--- End quote ---

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a cereal mash the same thing as boiling? I mean if you are using whole rice (not instant) then you will want to boil it. Same with whole oats. IIRC rolled oats and quick oats can be thrown right into the mash tun. The rolling process gelantize the starch. Same with corn. I believe whole corn needs to be boiled unless it has been rolled and/or flaked.

brookspn:
With this I will be using raw wheat. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version