Author Topic: Brewer Bio: Aaron From Long Beach  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Hatefly

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Brewer Bio: Aaron From Long Beach
« on: June 04, 2015, 04:05:51 AM »
Who Are You: Aaron
(Couldn't post a photo here yet)

Home Town (City, State): From Long Beach, CA

Homebrew Club: I need one. Any suggestions?

I've been a homebrewer since: 3 years

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share?
Oh, Lord, o.k. I started brewing so I would have something cool to serve for my baby girls first birthday. I jumped right into all grain from the start and decided on a Russian Imperial Stout as my first beer (my own recipe) needless to say it was a total disaster! That beer kissed the sewer. Good thing I never give up!

What is your favorite style(s) to brew?
Saison, IPA, and Porter.

What style(s) will you never brew?
Can't think of one...

What was the first beer you ever brewed? 
Russian Imperial Stout.

How did it turn out?
I think drinking liquefied cat droppings would have been more pleasant.

Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great?
Kinda hard to quantify with the amount of mistakes I have made and didn't even know it till later.

What is your favorite beer recipe?
My tropical IPA. Hands down. I got to serve it at a local festival and a few restaurants asked how they could get it on tap. It was a heady experience!

Are you a BJCP Judge?  If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging?
Not yet, but once I find a club I plan on getting it. As of now though, I study on my own and evaluate nearly

Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc?
I made a DIY stainless hop spider and I freaking love the thing. Less junk in the kettle is always nice.

Describe your brew system.
Currently, it's one if those systems where you lift large quantities of scalding liquid and pray you don't end up in the ER later! I am about to get a major upgrade however to a custom single tier system I've been planning out four months now.

How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)?
I brew at least twice a month or more depending on how thirsty my friends are.

What is your favorite malt?  Why?
Don't have one. I am partial to blending different types of chocolate malt however.

What is your favorite hop? Why?
Azacca. I live how you can use it for do many things and the flavor/aroma is amazing, especially in dry hopping.

Do you have a favorite or house yeast?
San Diego Super Yeast, I also really like French Saison.

What qualities do you like about that yeast?
Both are power houses that really do what they need to do.

What haven't we asked that you would really like to answer?
Yes, I'll beta test any new homebrew gadget.

Can you send a picture or two of some labels you've created for your homebrew?
Yep.
What's the most unusual ingredient you've ever used in a brew?
Wow, now this one might be hard. I really live using spices and herbs in my beers, but only to the point where they are simply a counter-point to the beer overall. It has to be beer first. I use a mostly Persian/middle eastern spice in my house Saison called Sumac. It's very floral, slightly peppery and a little citric. I also have a healthy garden I really love to use basil buds (flowers) in my California Garden IPA. The buds are picked fresh before they actually flower and provide a very unique bitterness and floral flavor to the beer you really need to experience.

Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients?
I started out brewing four my little girls first birthday and my first beer was named after her. After that, I have beers dedicated to nearly each and every family member and friend based on their likes and personality.

How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions?
I'm working on that... Soon. Very soon.

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with?
Mostly myself. Occasionally I can trick a friend into being an assistant. Beer helps too.

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer?
I'm an outdoor kinda guy. Hell, I'll be in the rain!

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite?
Ravens Nest Robust Porter, Hop Singer IPA, California Garden IPA, Black Coral RIS, Koa RIS, Double Entendre, Saison Rhue, HMWYBS; and like a million more.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
Re: Brewer Bio: Aaron From Long Beach
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 11:48:16 AM »
Welcome Aaron !  Got a kick out of the 'liquefied cat droppings' reference. As for the hops I'm a big fan of Azacca, too.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 11:54:29 AM »
Welcome aboard Aaron and thanks for sharing
Frank L.
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
In keg:
In Bottles:  
In the works: Hopefully brewing 10 gallons of Pilsner tomorrow for a family reunion in July, then back to IPA and  a barleywine to age

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:30:34 PM »
Welcome Aaron,  I work in Long Beach. 
- Charles

Offline ranchovillabrew

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:32:08 PM »
Check out Long Beach Homebrewers,  I'm not a member since I'm not up in Long Beach in the evening.  They meet at Steinfillers
- Charles

Online goschman

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 03:33:34 PM »
Welcome aboard!
On Tap/Bottled: Haze for Daze IPA, G Pils, Maibock, Watermelon Cider         

Fermenting: Kolsch
Up Next: Summer Ale, Gose

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
  • South Shore Brew Club, SE Massachusetts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 04:23:45 PM »
Hey, Aaron! Nice to meet you.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline Hatefly

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 05:13:31 PM »
Welcome Aaron !  Got a kick out of the 'liquefied cat droppings' reference. As for the hops I'm a big fan of Azacca, too.
Lol, thanks man.

I wss happy when I nurtured stone using that hop in their new beer. Good to see it get some attention.

Offline Hatefly

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 05:16:11 PM »
Check out Long Beach Homebrewers,  I'm not a member since I'm not up in Long Beach in the evening.  They meet at Steinfillers
Thanks!

I was looking at them as I normally shop at SF's. Either them or slightly leaning toward another near Culver City, which isn't that far.

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 08:36:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I'm the webmaster for the Long Beach Homebrewers: http://longbeachhomebrewers.com

We meet every 2nd Tuesday of the month.  Our next meeting is on 6/9 at 7pm, at Stein Fillers.  Feel free to drop in and check out the meeting if you are free.  :)

Offline Hatefly

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 11:20:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I'm the webmaster for the Long Beach Homebrewers: http://longbeachhomebrewers.com

We meet every 2nd Tuesday of the month.  Our next meeting is on 6/9 at 7pm, at Stein Fillers.  Feel free to drop in and check out the meeting if you are free.  :)
Thanks a bunch! That's two days from now, I'll see if I can stop by.

Quick question, what is the point system all about that's listed on the club site?

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 11:32:46 PM »

Quick question, what is the point system all about that's listed on the club site?

In order to encourage people to brew the style of the month, we have designated 5 months as "Homebrewer of the Month" competition months.  It's just for fun and bragging rights.  This Tuesday is one of those months, with the style being "fruit beer". 

As such, members who want to enter will bring in a fruit beer, which will be blind poured to everyone at the meeting.  After all of the competition beers are poured and tasted, a popular vote will be held to pick the top 3 to award points.  5 points for 1st, 4 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, and 1 for entering a beer.  At the end of the 5 months, the club member with the most points is crowned homebrewer of the year and has their name put on trophy with past winners.  After voting is complete, the brewers are announced and the top 2 or 3 brewers talk briefly about their beers and answer any questions people have. 

I always learn something by entering and blind tasting my beer.  It's interesting how my perception changes when I don't know which beer is mine.  This month may not be good for that as Fruit Beer is pretty broad.  If someone has, say, a peach blonde, it may be the only peach blonde.  This works better when the style is more focused, like "milk stout" or something.

In addition to this little popular vote comp, members will bring in other beers to share and speak about as well.

Hope you can make it to the meeting.

Offline Hatefly

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 11:40:27 PM »

In order to encourage people to brew the style of the month, we have designated 5 months as "Homebrewer of the Month" competition months.  It's just for fun and bragging rights.  This Tuesday is one of those months, with the style being "fruit beer". 

As such, members who want to enter will bring in a fruit beer, which will be blind poured to everyone at the meeting.  After all of the competition beers are poured and tasted, a popular vote will be held to pick the top 3 to award points.  5 points for 1st, 4 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, and 1 for entering a beer.  At the end of the 5 months, the club member with the most points is crowned homebrewer of the year and has their name put on trophy with past winners.  After voting is complete, the brewers are announced and the top 2 or 3 brewers talk briefly about their beers and answer any questions people have. 

I always learn something by entering and blind tasting my beer.  It's interesting how my perception changes when I don't know which beer is mine.  This month may not be good for that as Fruit Beer is pretty broad.  If someone has, say, a peach blonde, it may be the only peach blonde.  This works better when the style is more focused, like "milk stout" or something.

In addition to this little popular vote comp, members will bring in other beers to share and speak about as well.

Hope you can make it to the meeting.
That sounds like fun. Thanks a bunch for the info!