Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning equipment after and before?  (Read 2926 times)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: Cleaning equipment after and before?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 07:16:25 am »
I was going to also say that, just make sure you understand you don't need to sanitize the mash tun or boil kettle. That would be a silly and redundant waste of time. As far as cleaning goes, yes, only clean up after brewday is really necessary and it's best to clean up right away or at least first thing the next morning if it was  a late one.
Yep, I only use the BK for sanitizer because it's the most convenient way to sanitize the chiller and fermenters.  That being said, I have occasionally left the MLT and BK wash until the next day, but always at least rinse them out.  If you've ever gotten lazy and left them overnight or longer, you typically only do it once.  ;)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 07:57:52 am »
Yep, the only time I ever left it till the next day was after a long double brew day and I was either too tired or too drunk or both.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 10:09:46 am »
Cleaning for me is pretty much rinsing out all hot side equipment very well (with deep cleaning by long PBW soak, scrubbing with scratch less pads, and full breakdown of valves and weld less bulkheads 2-3 times per year), then good cleaning with PBW, good rinse and sanitizer for all cold side equipment (hoses, pumps, fermenters, air locks, kegs) right after every use and rinse and sanitize before next use.  I store my kegs charged with CO2 and a goodly amount of Star San foam residue to further inhibit nasties growing - then I blast it out through the dip tube before racking the next beer onto/under a bed of CO2.

It sounds like some of these processes used are overkill, but it's your time and your peace of mind....so go with what suits you!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline orangehero

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 05:27:31 pm »
I've found mold growing on Star-San so I prefer to store kegs completely dry and pressurized with CO2.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 12:06:15 pm »
I would think that the star San at that low volume level (basically just the foam residue that becomes liquid as it sits) combined with a CO2 pressurized setting would inhibit mold growth adequately.  It's not like a bucket of star San that is exposed to the air.  But whatever works for you is cool with me - I assume that you sanitize once again before you fill the keg, since the drying process alone would seem to expose the keg to potential airborne microbes, however slight that risk...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"