Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Draught Line Conversion  (Read 1695 times)

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Draught Line Conversion
« on: June 04, 2015, 05:17:06 pm »

I'm planning an optimization of my system (replacing the 1/4" line I have now w/3/16").  Has anybody tried this?  Are there any negatives?
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Re: Draught Line Conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:43:17 am »
Googled it. Seems very expensive for what you get. More Beer has this for $29.99. Standard 3/16" beverage line is $.79 per foot. Since your beer and lines should be sanitary, and cleaned regularly anyways, I don't see the need for anti-microbial lines.

You could basically get 12' of regular line for 1/3 the price of the kit.

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:52:43 am »
I use that line but I didnt buy the kit. The line is available from AIH. It is pricier than standard line. Seems to perform well and i like it so far.
“I’ve never been drunk, but often I’ve been overserved.”
~ George Gobel

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:31:52 am »
Googled it. Seems very expensive for what you get. More Beer has this for $29.99. Standard 3/16" beverage line is $.79 per foot. Since your beer and lines should be sanitary, and cleaned regularly anyways, I don't see the need for anti-microbial lines.

You're quoting vinyl lines against barrier lines. Different animal. Vinyl will be sanitary but will leech plastic taste into the beer sitting in the lines over time. Barrier lines have no flavor degradation or crossover.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 08:23:15 pm »

You're quoting vinyl lines against barrier lines. Different animal. Vinyl will be sanitary but will leech plastic taste into the beer sitting in the lines over time. Barrier lines have no flavor degradation or crossover.

I realise standard vinyl beverage line and barrier beverage line are two different animals, but after 5 years of running vinyl, I'm yet to see off flavors. Some things, like Perlicks, are worth the upgrade, but to me SuperFlex beverage line does just fine, and I think there are better places to spend your money. Just my 2c :)

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 05:06:57 am »

I realise standard vinyl beverage line and barrier beverage line are two different animals, but after 5 years of running vinyl, I'm yet to see off flavors. Some things, like Perlicks, are worth the upgrade, but to me SuperFlex beverage line does just fine, and I think there are better places to spend your money. Just my 2c :)
10-4 good buddy! The first post sounded like you were comparing apples to oranges, but I smell what you're stepping in now. :)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 01:58:54 pm »
Kinda what I was getting at in the first place.  I have vinyl now, and before dropping $2.50/foot I wanted some rationalization other than the manufacturer's promise.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví