Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: plastic big mouth bubblers prone to cracking ?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: plastic big mouth bubblers prone to cracking ?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 08:59:04 pm »

Yeah I don't know what they issue is or why NB/MW have selected a product clearly posing an unreasonable risk of injury through normal use.

What is the unreasonable risk of injury?  Glass breakage?  That's no different than any glass carboy.  And, while I no longer use glass, lots of people prefer it.

With these particular glass fermentors there has been an unusually high number of complaints about the glass cracking or breaking even from people who use other glass carboys. Apparently the glass is much thinner and some people have had them break just by placing them on the ground. It isn't just the use of glass but the use of glass that does not seem well designed for this purpose.
I have also heard that from an engineering stand point they are not structurally sound. The large opening removes much of the rigidity that the bell on a carboy provides. I'm not an engineer, so don't quote me.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: plastic big mouth bubblers prone to cracking ?
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 03:31:44 pm »

Yeah I don't know what they issue is or why NB/MW have selected a product clearly posing an unreasonable risk of injury through normal use.

What is the unreasonable risk of injury?  Glass breakage?  That's no different than any glass carboy.  And, while I no longer use glass, lots of people prefer it.

With these particular glass fermentors there has been an unusually high number of complaints about the glass cracking or breaking even from people who use other glass carboys. Apparently the glass is much thinner and some people have had them break just by placing them on the ground. It isn't just the use of glass but the use of glass that does not seem well designed for this purpose.
I have also heard that from an engineering stand point they are not structurally sound. The large opening removes much of the rigidity that the bell on a carboy provides. I'm not an engineer, so don't quote me.
But Steve, that information is just so quotable!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)