Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing "Silent Time Dubbel" this Weekend  (Read 2485 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Brewing "Silent Time Dubbel" this Weekend
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 01:16:51 pm »
Why the acid malt? Acid malt is used primarily to used to adjust pH on very pale beers. You not need it here, in fact it could totally screw with your pH.

You will want a lot of plumb and raisin character so if it were me, and I wasn't going to use dark candi, I would dump the caravienne and bump up your special b. I don't think you will need the aromatic malt either, since you are using a lint of Munich already. When you design a recipe be sure that each of your ingredients have a purpose and know what they will do to your beer, otherwise don't use them. Often times simpler is better. Most of my recipes do not use more than 2 or 3 malts, with a few exceptions.

+1.  FWIW, I like ~ 10-12% dark syrup and 5% special B. Love the dark fruit character.
Jon H.

Derek

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 01:17:09 pm »
Why the acid malt? Acid malt is used primarily to used to adjust pH on very pale beers. You not need it here, in fact it could totally screw with your pH.

The acid malt brought my pH down into the 5.2-5.4 range.

You will want a lot of plumb and raisin character so if it were me, and I wasn't going to use dark candi, I would dump the caravienne and bump up your special b. I don't think you will need the aromatic malt either, since you are using a lint of Munich already. When you design a recipe be sure that each of your ingredients have a purpose and know what they will do to your beer, otherwise don't use them.

Not looking to go overboard on the plum and raisin so maybe "Belgian Brown Ale" is a better moniker. I agree on the Aromatic though. Forgot about it's "Super Munich" appellation and with the dark and light munich it may be a bit much. Good call.

Often times simpler is better. Most of my recipes do not use more than 2 or 3 malts, with a few exceptions.

I agree with this statement and as an engineer it permeates everything I do. In this case I guess I was trying to capture the spirit of the Serious Eats recipe. My Dark Strong recipe for next week is just Pils, Pale, A bit of Munich, D90 and D180.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 01:21:40 pm »
if it's about testing your system then go for it. It's not going to ruin anything to do those steps, just not really necesary.

on the less/more modified front, floor maltings produce a less modified malt and I'm sure there is some difference but as far as I can tell there is no need to do a protein rest with continental malts. I've never had a problem with floor malted british malt either but some others have.

Noted. If you were to do a beta, alpha, mash out style step, what temps would you suggest?

I do my marzen with a three step no-sparge mash.

I do 148 for 15 minutes then infuse up to 155 for 45 minutes then mash out (aim for 168-170) because I need to get the water in there and it might as well also mashout.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Derek

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 01:26:10 pm »
You will want a lot of plumb and raisin character so if it were me, and I wasn't going to use dark candi, I would dump the caravienne and bump up your special b.
+1.  FWIW, I like ~ 10-12% dark syrup and 5% special B. Love the dark fruit character.

Not that I don't enjoy those flavors, because I have had plenty of Belgian beer and enjoy all of it, but I guess this recipe is more a nuttier, brown Belgian ale if that makes sense. Calling it a Dubbel was bound to stir the pot a little.

I have plans for more authentic Dubbel/Tripel/Quad style beers but for this one I guess the Dubbel designation may not fit. Belgian Strong Brown Ale?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 01:28:24 pm »
You will want a lot of plumb and raisin character so if it were me, and I wasn't going to use dark candi, I would dump the caravienne and bump up your special b.

Not that I don't enjoy those flavors, because I have had plenty of Belgian beer and enjoy all of it, but I guess this recipe is more a nuttier, brown Belgian ale if that makes sense. Calling it a Dubbel was bound to stir the pot a little.

I have plans for more authentic Dubbel/Tripel/Quad style beers but for this one I guess the Dubbel designation may not fit. Belgian Strong Brown Ale?

There's plenty of room for good Belgian type beers of all types. I'm sure it'll be good !
Jon H.

Derek

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 06:08:02 pm »
Bought my supplies today:

45% Weyermann Pilsner
19% Briess Pale Ale
13% Weyermann Dark Munich
3%   Dingeman CaraVienna
2%   Dingeman Aromatic
2%   Dingeman Special B
3%   Weyermann Chocolate Wheat
3%   Weyermann Acidulated Malt
10% Turbinado Sugar

148F for 15 min/154F for 40 min/168 mash out for 5 min

I'm cutting my water with 25% Distilled to drop the bicarbonate down a bit and adding a little gypsum and salt.

I'll be doing a batch sparge

~30 IBU using Challenger at 60, Saaz at 15 and Saaz at flameout.

Fresh (6/8/15) smack pack of 3787 awaits

I'll be brewing on Saturday evening

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 06:09:31 pm »
Sounds great, have fun with it
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)