Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Strawberry Rhubarb Mead  (Read 3195 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Strawberry Rhubarb Mead
« on: June 07, 2015, 08:33:01 am »
There's a local meadery here in Indy called New Day Meadery and I really enjoy their Strawberry Rhubarb Mead. Per their description its:

Shelby Blue Ribbon: 5% Sugar, 8% ABV: Tangy strawberry, rhubarb & mead w/ a sweet finish.

Typically I'll go down the the sack mead route and shoot for twice that ABV but SWMBO would prefer a lighter touch. I'm assuming that I'll need to sorbate and backsweeten, since any yeast will power through 8%. How does this look for a recipe?

For 3.25 gallons
5 lbs Honey
6lbs Strawberries
3lbs Rhubarb
Lalvin Narbonne Yeast (71B-1122)

Targeting a 1.055 OG, ferment to dry, then back sweeten.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Strawberry Rhubarb Mead
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 10:22:23 am »
That sounds like a solid plan. Depending on how much strawberry character you're looking for 6 lbs might not be enough. Even pushing 4lb/gallon I find that I can't get as much strawberry character as I'd like. The tartness of the rhubarb might help with the strawberry character, but I'd consider keeping some extra strawberry puree on hand to add when you backsweeten if needed.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 01:17:02 pm »
Thanks Eric. I have another 2lbs of strawberries in reserve in the freezer if I feel the need to add more strawberry character during back sweetening.

Do you think some pectic enzyme is necessary?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 01:20:19 pm »
Thanks Eric. I have another 2lbs of strawberries in reserve in the freezer if I feel the need to add more strawberry character during back sweetening.

Do you think some pectic enzyme is necessary?
I don't think it's necessary unless you're heating the berries, but it can't hurt. I don't use it in my meads, but i do find that it clears my ciders a bit quicker.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer