Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sparge Volume Error  (Read 965 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Sparge Volume Error
« on: June 07, 2015, 03:32:31 pm »
I realized (after the fact) that I measured my sparge water volume incorrectly today by ~.47 gallons. I also noticed the below gravity readings and I'm curious if the lower volume is affecting this compared to the same recipe with proper volumes last go around. Would this affect gravity or simply be less wort into the kettle?

Recipe 1 (correct volumes)
Pre-boil OG- 1.044
OG- 1.050

Recipe 2 (incorrect volumes)
Pre-boil OG- 1.050
OG- 1.054

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:43:26 pm by flbrewer »

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: Sparge Volume Error
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »
Gravity by definition is a concentration of sugars independent, but referencing volume. So to answer your questions - both a higher gravity and lower volume.

If you sparged and ended with less volume of wort, and if your efficiency was more or less the same as before when nailing your volumes, then your pre-boil gravity should be higher. Caution here in that gravity can striate in the kettle when sparging, depending on how well the wort is mixed. If your volumes were the same - then the additional gravity could be attributed to higher efficiency in extraction. In this case, perhaps a mix of both higher efficiency and lower boil volume.

It appears your boil rates varied slightly - perhaps due to higher humidity out there in Florida today?

I am impressed that you can measure your boil volume out to 0.65 gallons of difference!
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 04:40:26 pm »
No doubt!  I use a stick with magic marker lines about meh apart. Also, if I'm targeting 5.5 gallons of 1.050 then I consider 5 to 6 gallons of 1.048-1.052 as "nailing my numbers"

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 04:41:04 pm »
I am impressed that you can measure your boil volume out to 0.47 gallons of difference!

Don't be. My sparge volume was supposed to be 3.66 gallons. The .66 gallons was supposed to be measured by adding 2 quarts of water and 3 cups which would get me close enough to 3.66.

I have no idea why I did this but I ended up using 3 gallons and 3 cups, which was 3.19 gallons.  :o
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 04:42:56 pm by flbrewer »