Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AMERICAN cuisine  (Read 11011 times)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: AMERICAN cuisine
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 04:29:37 pm »
Can't be more American than a Reuben Sandwich, although it's disputed whether it originated in Nebraska or New York. I'm sayin' Nebraska just because... ;D

GO BIG RED!

narvin

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 06:20:21 pm »
Salisbury steak and freedom fries?

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 06:39:48 pm »
What are freedom fries?

We have fries around here, I think they are called dirty fries. French fries with fried onions and gravy.

I am really interested in local American dishes. There are so many that I haven't tried. Some known some I havent even heard of yet.

For example the Calamari Steak of coastal California. Never had one anywhere else. Man they are good too. They must real in those giant squids out in the Pacific.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline dj99

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 06:59:12 pm »
Ha ha, freedom fries are "rebranded" french fries after the French didn't back us as they should have after 9/11.

The Calamari steak sounds interesting!
I loves to Homebrew!
(in SW Washington)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 07:17:59 pm »

We have fries around here, I think they are called dirty fries. French fries with fried onions and gravy.

Wets - Fresh cut fries (you know kinda soggy limp) in a bowl, covered in brown gravy.

and then there's

The Slinger is a Midwestern diner specialty typically consisting of two eggs, hash browns, and a hamburger patty (or any other meat) all covered in chili (with or without beans) and generously topped with cheese (cheddar or American) and onions. The eggs can be any style. The Slinger is considered to be a St. Louis late-night culinary original. It is described as "a hometown culinary invention that might account for St. Louis' high rate of heart disease: a mishmash of meat, hash-fried potatoes, eggs, and chili, sided with your choice of ham, sausage, bacon, hamburger patties, or an entire flippin' T-bone steak. It's dirt cheap, damn good and a drunk's dream."

I only ate these on Fridays.  ;)
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 09:45:35 am »
last night i had a peanut butter and rhubarb/strawberry jelly sandwhich on rye bread.  actually was very good, so i thought (at midnight)  why not brew a beer with this combo. and actually in homebrew garden found a recipe for a rhubarb and rye ale. can't wait.
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 10:02:03 am »
Nachos. Especially the ones you find at the ballpark or movie theater that have that synthetic runny yellow-orange cheese product.

Or Corn-dogs. OMG I love those things.

Onion rings.

Philly Cheese-steak.

So far these examples don't seem to be particularly healthy... :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 10:04:40 am »
Or Corn-dogs. OMG I love those things.
It's kinda sad, but one of my favorite things is deep fried Mini-Corndogs.  So freakin' good.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 10:34:01 am »
Here in Montana, the only real contribution to American cuisine that we have made is the pork chop sandwich:

The one pictured is "Loaded"....mustard, pickles, onions.

"Loaded delux" is the same, plue lettuce tomato and mayo.

My favorite is loaded with both hot and yellow mustard.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 11:46:25 am »
I'll proffer the things that have come out of my current home town for American cuisine (my real hometown hasn't contributed much except some football players and indoor foliage)

- The chili size - Take a bowl, add some chili, add a griddle cooked hamburger patty, add more chili and cheese. Serve - an LA classic
- The French Dip - Hotly contested between two locations here in downtown - the French Dip was invented either at Phillipes, which is a funny old fashioned place to go grab a bite, or Cole's Pacific Electric Buffet. For my money, I prefer Phillipes and their devil mustard.
- The "LA" Chili Dog - There's a variant of hot dog chili that seems to be about 1/3 flour, meat, fat and tomatoes. Very smooth stuff, unlike any other chili I've seen on dogs. Best seen at Cupid's, Flooky's or Pink's (if you feel like waiting in line forever) (LA actually had a very interesting hot dog subculture)
- The BBQ Chicken Pizza - Invented by Ed LaDou while he worked at Spago's with Wolfgang Puck. Ed passed away sudddenly a couple years ago, but his little place Caioti Pizza Cafe still makes rocking pizzas and they have a salad called "The Salad" that some folks swear by to induce labor.

There are a few others, but how about the big mammer jammer that has unfortunately seated itself deep into the roots of the world.

- The Drive Through and the Fast Food Restaurant - McDonald's was born out in San Berdoo as was the drive through window at In n Out Burger (seriously fantastic fast food burger) Carl's Jr (owner of Hardee's as well), El Pollo Loco, Fatburger, Foster's Freeze, Green Burrito, Hot Dog on a Stick, H. Salt Fish & Chips, Jack in the Box, Johnny Rockets, Weinerschinitizel, Original Tommy's (oh god, the chili and grease), Panda Express, Taco Bell, Tastee Freez, Wetzel's Pretzels, wInchell's Donuts (and its owner Yum-Yum Donuts). - all LA region started fast fooderies that have been clogging everyone's arteries for a while now. Go LA! :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 12:44:50 pm »
Imagine this...

Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 02:44:59 pm »
How about all that food they serve at the State Fair.  "Anything imaginable" on a stick.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 03:11:50 pm »
SPAM.

I'd say pot roast, but then isn't it derived from sauer braten.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 05:12:06 pm »
How about all that food they serve at the State Fair.  "Anything imaginable" on a stick.

I gather there are places in China that seriously one-up us on the "anything imaginable on a stick" front!

EDIT: One example:
http://www.foodnut.com/408/beijing-dong-hua-men-night-market-wangfujing-food-market-review-beijing-china/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:14:42 pm by nicneufeld »

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 06:52:15 pm »
How about all that food they serve at the State Fair.  "Anything imaginable" on a stick.

I gather there are places in China that seriously one-up us on the "anything imaginable on a stick" front!

Andrew Zimmern did a show where he walked into one of those places. Skewer full of rooster comb anyone? Or the breast bone which is cartilage, is also skewerable.

But anyway - back to America. With all the stuff listed is it any wonder we have an obesity epidemic?

SMORES !
Orange Cheese, Chocolate Cheese, Velveeta
Anything in the chip/snack isle. No country can touch our Doritos, Potato Chips, or Cheese curls.
The moral majority, is neither.