Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cultivating yeast from bottle conditioned beers.  (Read 2402 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Cultivating yeast from bottle conditioned beers.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 04:10:58 pm »
I am by no means a sour beer expert, but afaik it is not recommended to make a starter from the dregs of a mixed culture (i.e. from a beer made with sacch, brett, pedio, lacto, etc.) because the different critters do all not grow at the same rate. So the ratios in the starter will be different from the ratios in the original beer.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 06:01:23 pm »
I am by no means a sour beer expert, but afaik it is not recommended to make a starter from the dregs of a mixed culture (i.e. from a beer made with sacch, brett, pedio, lacto, etc.) because the different critters do all not grow at the same rate. So the ratios in the starter will be different from the ratios in the original beer.
When I get around to doing this I will do my typical method of lacto till I get down below 4 ph then instead of brett I will enjoy all but the bottom 3-4" of two or three bottles of live commercial sours that I like, and just swirl them up and pitch as is. Maybe Commons Myrtle if I can score some.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 10:14:30 pm »
While the ratios may change, I don't think that makes a huge difference in the finished beer. If you don't make a starter there may not be too much simple sugar available to the lacto by the time it has grown to a healthy cell count. You certainly don't need to make a starter from dregs, but if you want to use them as your primary culture for a beer I think you're better off having them healthy.

Plus, who's to say that the ratio of viable bugs in the bottle is the same as those when the fermentation started? If you're culturing from a gueuze you have critters that are 3+ years old and probably not in their best shape, if they survived.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 09:16:07 am »
While the ratios may change, I don't think that makes a huge difference in the finished beer. If you don't make a starter there may not be too much simple sugar available to the lacto by the time it has grown to a healthy cell count. You certainly don't need to make a starter from dregs, but if you want to use them as your primary culture for a beer I think you're better off having them healthy.

Plus, who's to say that the ratio of viable bugs in the bottle is the same as those when the fermentation started? If you're culturing from a gueuze you have critters that are 3+ years old and probably not in their best shape, if they survived.
Yup. Except that most dont start from scratch. Most repitch their blend. So you're right, but what they pitched in that batch was also left over from the previous batch. Not like a laboratory melange that is sure to change after batch one. At some point the repitched commercial inoculation is what it is and pretty much stays what it is because its reached stability. A total least that sounds right in my head. Probably im wrong.