Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Managing Water/Grist Ratio during step mash  (Read 1072 times)

Derek

Managing Water/Grist Ratio during step mash
« on: June 09, 2015, 10:22:10 am »
I don't want to incite a riot. I understand that a step mash is not necessarily required depending on malt.

How does one control the water to grist ratio during a step mash? Obviously you start formulating your recipe with a desired ratio and it becomes inflated during the course of the step mash regime.

Is this even an important factor? Do you have to adjust your sparge or mash water to accommodate?

Just food for thought. I was writing the formulas for my step mash calculator in my spreadsheet and noticed the increase in mash water and its effect on the grist ratio.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Managing Water/Grist Ratio during step mash
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:05:39 pm »
Riot #2.

Mash in stiff for first step. Add boiling water for other steps. When the mash tun is full pull a decoration(s) until you are at mash out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Derek

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 12:12:43 pm »
Riot #2.

Mash in stiff for first step. Add boiling water for other steps. When the mash tun is full pull a decoration(s) until you are at mash out.

1.) Stiff strike (1-1.25?)
2.) Boiling water additions
3.) Decoctions to reach mashout

Sound about right? Should (if I ever do a step mash) be attempting to reach my desired grist ratio at the end? I assume that this first stiff addition is reduced to bring this in line.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 05:29:16 am »
I read on these forums that with today's fully modified malts, there is no need for a step mash. However, every recipe on Weyermann's web site calls for a step mash. I wonder why that is...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski