Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AU Summer hops in American Wheat?  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
AU Summer hops in American Wheat?
« on: June 09, 2015, 12:10:02 pm »
I'm looking to brew some lighter beers for the summer, and planning an American Wheat for this weekend.  I recently picked up a half pound of AU Summer hops and I'm thinking of trying them out in this beer.  I've never brewed a wheat, or used Summer hops before.  Does anyone have any experience with this hop variety?  The description sounds good: "subtle melon and apricot flavors and aromas," but I'm concerned about them being a little too subtle.  I'm thinking of something like this:

5 lb 2-row
5 lb wheat malt

.75 oz Sterling - 60 minutes
1 oz AU Summer - 5 minutes
2 oz AU Summer - flame-out
1 oz AU Summer - dry-hop

I'm hoping for a real simple and light malt character to allow the hops to shine.  Any comments or suggestions?  I'm planning to just use Safale-05 unless there is another choice that would be significantly better.  Think I need rice hulls?

Thanks!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: AU Summer hops in American Wheat?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:20:12 pm »
Never used that hop, but I would skip the dry hop for an American wheat. I'd use whatever is needed at 60 to hit 20ibu and maybe an ounce at 0. With dry hops you can always taste ahead of time.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 12:27:53 pm »
Thanks Steve.  Maybe I'm trying for more of a "West Coast" wheat.  I was afraid I didn't have enough hops.  ;D  I want a noticeable hop presence.  I have read that the melon and stone fruit aromas with that hop really come out when dry-hopping, so that was my reason for that.  Maybe I should just brew an APA . . .

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 12:32:17 pm »
You could bump the abv up a bit and make it a white IPA.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 12:39:23 pm »
You could bump the abv up a bit and make it a white IPA.

Now that is REALLY tempting, but I'm trying to keep it light.  My version of a lawnmower beer.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 01:40:06 pm »
I made a tripel using AU Summer hops and wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey. It is an excellent beer, but I was a little disappointed it mixed right in with the yeast.

A single hopped american wheat would be the best bet to really get a good idea of what it can do. My personal guess is it could be a hop that's too subtle. Hull Melon might be a good choice too.

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 03:01:43 pm »
Thanks.  That's good info.  I'm torn between wanting to single-hop it with Summer to learn about the hop, and worrying that it will end up kind of dull. I suppose I can always throw some hops in the keg if it needs a boost.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 03:23:55 pm »
I'll be the contrary son here, go for it and think FFF  Gumball Head, a hoppy American Wheat that always pleases!

Never used that hop before but I would think if those are the aromas that it imparts in dry hopping it will be a great beer! Cheers!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 05:25:39 pm »
I don't know if I got a mislabeled batch, but my experience with single-hopped Summer was nothing like any other descriptors I've heard for it. It seemed very English - leather/earth/spice. I didn't get any fruitiness from it. http://hopwhisperer.blogspot.com/2014/01/summer-hops-tasting-notes.html

That said, I've heard others say that they get a musky cantaloupe note from it. Assuming that this is a more common experience with Summer, it may be interesting in a hoppy American wheat.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 05:55:39 pm »
Eric, was your beer dry-hopped?

I'm definitely giving this a shot.  Should be interesting.  I will definitely report back with results.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 06:09:30 pm »
Eric, was your beer dry-hopped?

I'm definitely giving this a shot.  Should be interesting.  I will definitely report back with results.
Yes, at 0.5 oz/gallon for a dry hopping rate. Also used FWH and flameout additions.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 03:53:35 pm »
I brewed this over the weekend and the brew day went smoothly, but I was disappointed that I ended up with an original gravity of 1.044.  Should have been around 1.052 according to my calculations.  I'm sure it will still be tasty, but definitely a session beer. 

I'm not sure if my process needs work, or if maybe I'm not getting a proper crush.  I mill my grain at my LHBS at their recommended mill settings.  I have to confess that I usually don't take gravity readings, so I don't know if this is an ongoing issue or a one-time aberration.  Time to step up the record-keeping to figure this out.  I'm going to start by running the grain through the mill multiple times for my next batch and see where it comes out.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 03:57:20 pm »
I made a 100% Summer Cream Ale and it was very tasty, lots of fruit bowl character, though not terribly pungent. I think it'd work beautifully in an American Wheat.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 09:27:41 pm »
I've never had Summer hops either, but I think I know what you are looking to brew.

Deschutes' Twilight is a really light, flavorful, hoppy-but-not-bitter summer ale. It's my go-to lawnmower beer.  Lots of Amarillo and a light touch of caramel, (much less than an Am Pale Ale like Mirror Pond or SNPA). You can definitely go "outside the lines" in your wheat beer and you'll have something that is tasty, light, and refreshing.  You can make it hoppy, just don't expect to take down medals in THAT category (6D) if the hop character is too prominent.

Besides, it sounds to me like you want this for quaffing anyways.

I'd suggest 1.050, 27-30 IBUs, mostly from late hop additions, just enough bittering hops to bring it bitterness up to that range.  Add a slight touch of a light color caramel malt (2% of grain bill) - 10 or 15L or so.  Use a clean yeast (kolsch, am wheat, or cal ale) and you'll have a really nice beer.

HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 04:42:24 am »
I brewed this over the weekend and the brew day went smoothly, but I was disappointed that I ended up with an original gravity of 1.044.  Should have been around 1.052 according to my calculations.  I'm sure it will still be tasty, but definitely a session beer. 

I'm not sure if my process needs work, or if maybe I'm not getting a proper crush.  I mill my grain at my LHBS at their recommended mill settings.  I have to confess that I usually don't take gravity readings, so I don't know if this is an ongoing issue or a one-time aberration.  Time to step up the record-keeping to figure this out.  I'm going to start by running the grain through the mill multiple times for my next batch and see where it comes out.

What was your mash temperature? I find that if I mash at 150F or lower I need to mash for 75 to 90 minutes.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS